Socket/Bits Set advice wanted

Hi..I`m looking to buy a Xmas present for someone and want it to be a surprise...hence asking here.

I`ve been told that one present he would like is a socket & bit set for Hex/Allen and Torx/ Star bolts.

Can anyone give me an idea what different sizes are required for a comprehensive collection and possibly recommend a decent (complete ?) set with a named maker(and reference no. with price perhaps?). (Are Sealey,Draper or Halfords brands any good?)

He`s already got a 1/2" and 3/8" socket set in metric and inches so I want the Hex/Allen and Star/Torx collection to be just sockets and bits (no ratchets , bars or other accessories required)

He drives a Ford .

Thankyou

Vicky

Reply to
ghostbuster

I got a set of star sockets with a screwdriver type handle from a pound shop. I fitted one bit to my ratchet and it lasted for four nuts. This was a bit of a blow as I needed to undo five nuts to remove a seat at a scrap yard. Anyway, the job was completed with a borrowed tool. I replaced the set with a similar looking one costing £5. The difference is that the latter is from Wilkinsons and they clearly say they will refund on request (I'm sure I could get my £1 back if I asked). Hopefully this will last long enough to remove and replace the seat in my car. If you want / if I remember, I will let you know. I don't really want to spend a lot as I do not often come across this type of nut.

For a present, buy something with a "lifetime guarantee" or something similar, and keep the receipt. I've been happy with Halfords own brand. The best buy ever was maybe a Halfords breakers bar (£20) - a bar about 2 feet long that will fit onto a standard socket set - it has yet (touch wood) to come up against a wheel nut that it can't undo.

_________

dp

Your looking for insert bits, the type where ech hex?torx bit is on its own

3/8 1/2 " socket rather than one socket and loads of plug in bits.

Sealey is OK , Halfords Professional is probably as good as anyone with lifetime warranty, Draper Expert, not just Draper , is good as well but probably pricey. Snap -On , Mac etc very expensive large amount is paying for the marketing machine behind it.

Halfords Pro, get a set on socket rail , lifetime warranty , easy exchange with stores everywhere, probably be my reccomendation.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

as someone else has said, get a set if bits in abox with interchangeable heads/socket attachements go for the 1/2 and 3/8 drive in a box versions

for an example you need 1/2 inch for the rear seats and head bolts and idealy they should range from T20 all the way to a T55 in increment increases of 5

Reply to
dojj

Just a post script. The Wilkinson's own brand finished the seat job without any of the problems the poundshop tools caused.

As other posters have said, Halfords own brand is good (I doubt it will be any more expensive than the set I got from Wilkinsons). I used a couple of adapters to get my bits to fit onto my ratchet, but if you could get some to fit directly, that would be better.

By the way I wish SWMBO took your interest in such things. My Christmas box will probably be some ill-fitting clothes that I will have to wear just to keep the peace.

______

dp

As a contributor to this group, I guess you'd be happy with overalls? Just tell her your size...

Reply to
DB.

After fitting the seat I mentioned, I was told in no uncertain terms not to approach SWMBO with my roughened hands. Overalls would be nice but I can't see it happening... I'll stop there cos I've just come in from town and this is a newsgroup about cars.

Reply to
dp