Looks interesting!

So how long before Ford put it in a Landrover?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I think they already have.

Or at least, the setup in the Disco 3 with the auto box is probably capable of pretty much everything shown there - the only thing that comes to mind that isn't enabled by default is the "Vehicle position control" which would be doable between the autobox, ABS and fly-by-wire throttle. It already has the torque biasing by default along with lots of other funky stuff.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Fri, 19 Nov 2004 00:03:50 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

I love the ideal of CVT - the basic mechanics of that go back 70+ years, mind, they fitted one to an Austin 12 (IIRC) in the 30s. Wasn't much good then, but materials science has advanced a bit - the latest one apparently has a cunning lubricant related to the stuff in a viscous diff, which transmits drive when under pressure (i.e. between the wheels and the driving/driven rotors) and is liquid otherwise.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The advantage in this CVT system (or IVT), I understand, is that it can provide top gear of up to 60mph per 1,000rpm for fuel economy. It's shown to be slightly better than manual boxes and about 10% better than conventional autos. There are no torque converters, it's all done by rollers on output discs. It's the angle between them that changes the output seamlessly. A completely new type of auto box. Did you look at the video?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:26:25 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

seen it before, from I think the same site. However, it's not a completely new idea, the basis of the idea dates to ages-ago, but this lot have a new slant on it and more to the point a new sort of lubricant/drive fluid.

I take it you saw

And yes, I'd like one in me landy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles