Veg Oil Tax Update

Wrong, it's not the same, AVTUR is F34. Jet A1 does not have the FSII added, therefore it is not the same.

Exactly what I said.....

Many years ago (Gulf 1, in fact) we used to use blending rigs to blend AL38 (Lubricity additive and FSII) into Jet A1 as it was being pumped into the aircraft. The fuel pumps on the engines were only rated for so many hours usage without Lubricity additive (HYTEC), and the FSII also contains various anti-fungicide additives as well, something the lords and masters reckoned we needed in our old "war platform"! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Not wrong, Jet A-1 is plain AVTUR the old spec was DERD 2494 (AVTUR)

F34, or JP6, is is to DEF STAN 91-87 (AVTUR/FSII), note the "/FSII"

So they are both AVTUR but F34 is AVTUR/FSII

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Military use an additive, 1l to 5000l of avtur to lubricate the 300 Tdi Prolonged running on AVTUR doesn't do the engine any favours tho!

Nicckfish

Reply to
nicckfish

Jeff uttered summat worrerz funny about:

We'll it's no freakin' wonder there are so many planes dropping out of the sky ;-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

According to my sources and 22 years refuelling nimrods, F34 is JP8, not JP6. That was also the conclusion of the yanks in Oman, who were blending Jet-A1 with what they call "fizzy" to produce JP8. The bowser was labelled with "warning - JP8 when blended" all over it, that was only a few years ago.

I won't disagree with you on that one, not having my (no doubt out of date) Def-Stan book to hand and having no reason to disbelieve you, but to avoid confusion within RAF circles Jet-A1 has always been referred to as exactly that, NEVER as Avtur in the Nimrod world, in case someone doesn't realise and fails to fill in the correct paperwork in the aircraft's documentation reflecting the lack of lubricity additive or FSII or both, whilst at a foreign airbase. I'm not even going to mention Avcat/Avtag............ ;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

"> According to my sources and 22 years refuelling nimrods, F34 is JP8, not

Sorry that was my typo I did mean JP8 not JP6

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

In a desperate, but probably futile attempt to get back somewhere of direct interest.

Can any of these be used in a 300TDi engine without rupturing it?

Reply to
William Black

I think the short answer is no, as someone else said, the military do it with some additives, but Jet fuel is basically paraffin so I am sure the engine will run (and smell like an old ice cream van) so you could possibly cut it with real diesel (at your own risk).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

More here:

Andrew

Having a quick (and I mean quick) zip through that and a seemingly relevant other link, I didn't spot anything where it said that you'd be OK to use it as road fuel if you are deregistered as a producer, only that you no longer have to register it for duty payments... The cynic in me wonders if that means that you can no longer legally use the fuel in a vehicle if you produce and use less than 2500 litres per year as now it's fuel on which duty has not been paid...

Maybe I've just missed some paragraph somewhere, CBA to read through it all right now.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"A production threshold of 2,500 litres per annum below which producers will not need to enter premises, submit returns or pay duty, and"

???

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

All that says is that if you produce 2,500 or less per year, then they can't be arsed to process your returns, it doesn't say anything concrete about whether you'll get penalised if caught using it on the road, given the penalties can be harsh I'd want something concrete, it might be in there but I didn't spot it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:35:05 GMT, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

One of the reasons[1] given for converting the military road fleet to diesel (which the military call DIESO I believe) is that in emergency situations the road vehicles can be run on AVTUR if that's available. However, if it's "run on AVTUR or get your arse shot off" then you're not going to be too fussed about the long-term effects.

I believe the problems are lack of lubrication for the injection pump etc., so it's possible that one or more of the variations including lubricants would be better.

[1] I think the main one was standardising road fuel on one type.
Reply to
Austin Shackles