Viscous fan

Shortly to change the water pump on the 2.5 petrol and wondered if it's possible, without too much hassle, to upgrade to a viscous fan. Noticed the bits are available from Paddocks but wonder if it causes the fan to be too far forward etc.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Bob wrote

Is anyone there?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Call Paddocks and ask them, if they say it's fine but it's not, then get a refund, probably easiest.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:57:50 +0100, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

yes, but since I don't know the answer, that doesn't help you a lot.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd have thought that if paddocks are selling an "upgrade to a viscous fan" kit then they'd be able to tell him if it'll fit. If he means that paddocks sell the parts that should allow him to fit it but don't sell them for that purpose, then he'd have to do some measuring. Seems no-one else here at the moment has tried it.

How about a google groups search?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"Ian Rawlings" wrote FTER Austin Shackles replied

It's the second thing, Paddocks seem to sell the bits but I'm not sure it would fit without a major redesign to the rad and cowling. Can't believe it's not been tried before or does everyone just go the electric fan route. I'll try a Google search/phone Paddocks when I've got time and let you all know.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Alright I give in......

Theoretically the viscous option is for aircon vehicles, but

there are two possible water pumps, depending on which alternator is fitted, STC640 or STC635. You'd need one of these, a pulley ERC8890, a fan ERR3380 and a viscous unit ERC5708, and some bolts and a new fan belt ERC8938.

The problem is: does the belt line up with the crank pulley, or do you need an aircon crank pulley - I don't know, but I'm sure some 2.5P's escaped into the wild with viscous fans, so it may.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote after Bob Hobden said

Thank you Richard, the problem I now have is do I start the process only to find the belt doesn't line up or simply leave well alone and go the easier(?) electric fan route idc. I tend to do quite short journeys of 2 to 3 miles, stop for an hour or so and then return, so quick warm up is important in the winter.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

This is your regular ride IIRC?

FWIW I'd be inclined to go the safe/tried/tested route.

/2p

Reply to
William Tasso

Very cheap solution - blank off the radiator. Completely or partially, your choice. It works.

You might even be able to consider removing the fan but that will require more discipline.

Reply to
Dougal

Bearing in mind the price of the crank pulley (should you need it), then the electric fan route is probably easier and cheaper. Personaly, I'd keep the old fan and a spanner in the back though, in case the electrics play up - but then I do use a belt and braces!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Reply to