Well I've set a new record for Landrover ownership...

To be fair to them, they probably get a huge percentage of calls form people who haven't a clue, and worse, ones who haven't and think they do. It never ceases to amaze me that we only ever get the whole story about the circumstances of a failure *after* we've already worked it out for ourselves in the workshop. A lot of people seem to think it will be cheaper, and somehow easier to fix, if they just give us a version that is "economical with the truth".....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The call handler will have a database screen with tick boxes, and you mentioned a battery, so....

It's progress innit!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

My 101 insurance offered roadside recovery, replacement vehicle cover etc - for anything up to a tank. Sureterm ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

So does mine, the reason I'm considering AA/RAC is because I have four cars and adding breakdown cover to the insurance for just two of them costs more than AA/RAC cover.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

What about the rest of the vehicle?

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The AA have two totally different types of cover "Personal" and "Vehicle" and you're mixing them up I'm afraid, I have personal and that covers me in any vehicle I'm in whether driving or as a passenger, regardless of ownership. The only limits on the vehicle are 3.5t gross and 2.3m wide which isn't unreasonable when you consider they have to specify the trailers/low loaders they are going to use. Vehicle membership does indeed put an age limit on, but even this is only on the most basic policy.

I've just confirmed all this with them as you had me worried there 8-), my

1972 109 is definitely covered by my personal-relay cover, though in reality it's my 3 year old Polo that's had them out twice in the last year! Greg
Reply to
Greg

Yep, error already spotted, I wonder if it's worth joining both RAC and AA in the hope that one of them will get out to me within a few hours ;-)

So far the only times I've been stuck I've used my insurance-provided recovery scheme and the call-out times have been OK, I was quoted an hour and a half once but the chap turned up in 30 mins with a new battery (mine had gone open-circuit). I'd imagine RAC/AA are OK, with long call-outs being hopefully the exception rather than the rule.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

and still driving in that state?

then mine should go on for a few more miles yet ;)

Reply to
William Tasso

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Left it with Landranger, the clutch is going to be changed whatever, If I lifted the clutch with it not in gear it was quiet as one would expect. If I dropped it in gear then it wasn't quiet when the clutch was lifted and sounded a bit like a milling machine. Changing gear changed the note/ frequency of the said milling machine... my money is on the output shaft.

On the bright side I'll have a known good clutch and a 12 month waranteed known good gearbox with a cross drilled transfer gear ;-)

I like having known good stuff as I'll be far less reluctant to use it to tow abroad now which means some off road opportunities in South of France and Spain.

In fact Snowy may have just got a new name ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Thu, 09 Nov 2006 16:16:01 -0000, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

buggered if I know how, though. I'll see if I can find the gear and take pictures of it.

The only real problem is that it goes from "driving" to "not driving" just like that and with no real warning.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:05:55 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

and it is a fact that fixing it revolutionises it. When I did mine I'd not realised how bad it'd got. The recon box was better overall and the gear changes were like gearchanges should be, without clanks and clunks.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I was a member of the AA for five years, nothing but bad experiences. Been in the RAC the last 15, nothing but good. But as you say, a lot of it is luck.

Last time I used the RAC, the S2 had shot its waterpump about 300 miles from home. I phoned the RAC, told them what had happened, and they took my word for it (I was quite surprised - no "we'll send a patrol to make sure", no "do you know what a waterpump is, Sir?"). Flat bed on scene within 30 minutes, and home before Di was expecting me, due to the higher cruising speed of the flatbed. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 21:57:27 -0000, "Lee_D" scribbled the following nonsense:

Something to do with 101s changing ownership I believe.... Nige is having a peachy time with Morph, so Morph sent his vibes to Snowy......

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Simon Isaacs uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yup in my case I had a trailer so they seemed ok with this.

The guy this morning was faultless... proper AA truck too, though I suspect it was an Admin c*ck up.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 20:20:00 -0000, "Lee_D" scribbled the following nonsense:

wondered that with the third party recovery, they seem to have cut down on depots for recovery trucks and use more 3rd party now

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Thu, 9 Nov 2006 19:19:52 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

yeah, they shift, those things. Last time I was involved (someone else's car) the bugger beat us back, mind, we did stop for a pint and a meal on the way.

I sometimes wonder what the flatbed drivers use for stayawake juice. I used, when I were young and foolish, to be able to drive all night and half the day, but not now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's good to know - our 110 may get a bit of a seeing to this winter - then again ...

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:21:38 -0000, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

Trouble is the output shaft thing is not really susceptible to a cheap or easy fix once it's worn. Before it's worn you can do something about it to help stop it wearing.

I assume the cheapest fix is to rebuild the main box yourself and fit a new T-box gear. However the easier option is a recon main box. The latter cost me 600 notes plus more to fit it, but it was a much nicer box than the old one when it was done. Only annoying thing about it was that I didn't get much of the benefit as I then sold it not long after. Wonder if it's still going? It went up to Scotland.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hope all goes well matey & they don't cost the earth!

Reply to
Nige

first you get rid of the 101 and now you start sending the new landrover to the garage to have all the work done.. youre getting a bit posh :)

Reply to
Tom Woods