I've got a new car (well almost)

Managed to sell the XS for £200, and this new car will cost me £185 (possibly less if i can haggle it down a bit).

Can you guess what it is though? Clue: I'm venturing in to the whacky world of RWD

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Shite old Volvo/Sierra? We need something in the way of a clue :)

Reply to
Dan405

its a manta.

Reply to
Theo

How'd you know?

Reply to
Dan405

logic tells me,

but the logical answer isnt always the correct one.

Reply to
Theo

Actually I bought a £50 quid 360 GLT - total total but a surprsingly OK RWD experience...(and quite fast..)

Most sierra's are a fairly uninspired drive, the fact it's RWD is pretty irrelevant... I can report a 2.0S will do reasonable doughnuts.....:-)

Reply to
chris

no it isnt, although i wish it was.

Dan was right though - it is s**te, its is old, and its a 1.4 giving out about 70bhp (wow)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

ITS A 340 DL!

LORD! Took one of them rallying round Dalby Forest once :)

Mate had one for the 2 years we were at college, it had under 20k miles on, yet, after those 2 years of solid ABUSE everyday, we killed it and it was scrapped :) They will do 60 in 2nd...

Reply to
Dan405

Thats the one, although it could be a GL

Tee he he, undecided whether to event it or not

Thats what i like to hear!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Sierra shit??????

Sierra's rule M8

Reply to
Marty

even i'd have a sierra but only the 4x4 or cossie ones

Reply to
Vamp

Cross the manta off your list - I put my fist through the boot floor of mine tonight while trying to get the towbar off, I had to jack it up via the suspension mounting as I had a "feeling" the jack would go through the jacking points if I'd tried them.

I'm horrified at the amount of rot in what I consider a "newish" car (1985). Not decided if I'm keeping it yet but suspect a mig will be top of my Christmas list if i do...

I must be spoilt with all the VW's I've had, my current 1986 Scirocco has no rust apart from a tiny chip under one of the side windows yet a manta no more than 12 months old is looking more like a basket case everytime I look at it. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

my finger went through my front wing on my MR2 also '85 :(

Reply to
Vamp

You can hit stuff in them as much as you like, from that respect they're invincible. A mechanic once told us the clutch was a weakpoint, but easy to change. They're do ROCK for rallying :) Round the gravel, the 4 of us honed our drifting skills (well, what skills we had at the age of 17 with a combined driving experience time of about 3 months).

Reply to
Dan405

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Pity you couldn't have held out for a 360 GLT. A totally different experience. Handling just a chaotic, but with so much grunt to get you into trouble earlier.

Tell me you at least got the 3 door hatch at least, not the 5 door hatch, or 4 door saloon.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ours was 3 Door hatch, in base model DL spec.

In brown.

Reply to
Dan405

Ah Volvo brown, such a forgettable colour :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Ditto, but in red. All last night in the pub i got the piss taken out of me, and all day my boss has been doing it. And i havent even picked it up yet!!!

Got it for £170 in the end, with regular Volvo servicing, 6 months MoT, 5 weeks tax and a few new parts (water pump - which i'm told is a weak point, rad and a rebuilt carb). And my insurance as gone down by almost £20 a month - Result!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I'm going to wear a tweed flat cap and beat you all tomorrow :P.

Reply to
Doki

Hes right, they ROCK.

Reply to