Wheel arch painting?

Slowly wire-brushing then Hammeriting the chassis of the Defender, its looking pretty good.

Just wondered what people out there use on the wheel arches. Hammerite gets chipped easily by stones picked up and hurled by AT tires.

I assume there are some more rubberised treatments out there that protect the arches, deaden the sound of stones and rainwater in the rear and are still easy to clean mud from. Any recommendations?

I think I heard tar products should be avoided (or was that just on chassis....?)

Regards,

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

On or around 31 Jul 2003 07:05:39 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Guy Lux) enlightened us thusly:

you can get stone-chip protector stuff...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have always thought that Waxoyl was the thing to use on chassis, inside and out as it's easy to apply. Is this still the case or am I living in the past? Cheers Peter

Reply to
Peter

Hi Tom,

I would suggest hammerite underseal as well. Your comments about getting hammerite really hard are very interesting. You can't beat real life experience. Did you use "smoothrite" or the old hammer finish hammerite?

Cheers Chris Parkinson

Chris Parkinson

Thats the method i was told...

I used the hammered finish. Ive never thought much of the smoothrite stuff.

On the chassis i painted, the best bits are the bits that were rustiest!, so i think thats the most important bit when painting with it. It hasnt stuck atall well on the new bits of chassis i welded on!

Reply to
Tom Woods