Where to put the jerrycan

As my conversion into a stealth camper proceeds and I add joinery to my skills, space on the inside becomes more of a premium and I don't exactly want to share living space with a jerrycan. I have seen pictures of expedition prepared vehicles where these things sit on the roofrack at the back in a corner. Does not seem like the most stable arrangement to me.

I am considering two alternatives.

One to fix the can as centrally as possible directly over the back axle (where the spare wheel is at the moment, that can move forward to accomodate)

Two, Wwhether it could go over the front of the cab sitting slightly forward of the windscreen, where the height of a can on its side is not so noticable. The problem there is that the strain would be taken by the windscreen pivot mounts, that have already broken (I am getting reinforcements welded)

Another alternative is on the back door, but I reckon that could be a hazard, and would be heavy..

Whilst travelling long distance I may still be able to keep the can in the back, (if there will still be room with the generator as well) and just locate elsewhere when I am on site or using the back otherwise.

As for where the generator will go when I am not travelling, I reckon I can make up a small platform in front of the radiator, plenty of room for that, then it can be securely locked to the landie.

Does anyone know if you can buy ready made racks or platforms which go in front of the radiator on a series.?

Reply to
Larry

Hi Larry

These guys have carriers for jerry cans, though they are not shown on their site. They do have 'em tho, saw them tjhe last time I went

Cheers, Terry

Reply to
terry

A long time ago (40 years) I drove around West Africa and the southern Sahara in a Series I with a 20 litre metal jerry can upright on each end of the front bumper in a home-made bracket made from Dexion. They fitted neatly (headlamps in the grille, not on the wings of course) and the bumper showed no signs of overloading, but there was the obvious hazard if you hit something hard. I don't know whether such an arrangement would be legal now, but suspect not.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

I've got the carrier for the jerrycan but am wondering where best to mount it.

For a nice ariel view of my roofrack qv

Larry

Apart from the roof, this is probably the safest place IMO.

My only reservations about the roof is that I'm not keen on having anything too heavy up there. Less of a problem in a S3 than a 101, though :-)

Take a look at these for 'scary'!

Mother

Nice :@)

Not quite as scary as the 2 jerry cans lashed in the grill space on a series motor that I used to see a fair amount of - at least side hung ones aren't likely to detonate in a low speed forward collision.

What I'm trying to figure out is if you could use the dead space between the outriggers on a Disco for baffled fuel tanks, and likewise for the dead space inside the front and rear wings.

I haven't entirely given up on the idea of bladders inside the chassis rails, but I suspect that isn't the best idea I could come up with.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

For whats is worth he ought to be towing a bowser, at least it would allow some spring articulation.

Reply to
Larry

Camel trophy series 3's had the jerry cans mounted on the front from the radiator grill outwards . But if you put a jerry can there it sticks out further than the bumper.With my spare wheel on the bonnet i put my jerry can on the back door illegal or not. You can fit 2 side by side on the back door or maybe on on the outside and inside of the back door.

Reply to
Adrian Ford

The inside of the door is reserved for my cooker, courtesy of mobile storage solutions, the back door outside might do but I think that over time it will get stressed.

In front of the radiator is not an option, legal or otherwise I do not like the idea and I am sure anyone I might be tailgating wouldn't either.

Reply to
Larry

Theyre a hazard of some form in most external locartions arnt they?.

I'd go for the back door and make a reinforced hoop to go round the outside edge of it just to protect if (somewhat) from getting knocked. A bit of angle iron would do the job.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hey that's what the Turtle Expedition V did.

Microsoft User

But it is a Ford :(

A bit over the top if you ask me, my conversion to a stealth camper is a lot more subtle. I have taken some pictures as the work proceeds and added them to my page.

Larry

But it is a Ford :(

A bit over the top if you ask me, my conversion to a stealth camper is a lot more subtle. I have taken some pictures as the work proceeds and added them to my page.

Larry

On or around Fri, 3 Sep 2004 21:47:16 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

Getting there, ain't she? bummer about the stolen car bit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK...so the TE5 is not what you were looking for so...Check this out:

Jack Kerouac