Which model is best for me

In the week its lots of motorway miles. At weekend is 7 people and a big caravan.

Option 1 - 1999 TD5

Option 2 - 1997 V8 with LPG conversion

Is there much difference between the economy on the V8 manual compared to automatic ?

Stu

Reply to
stuart adair

Without getting a headache, I've got the 1997 V8 Disco on LPG.

I get 120 miles from 60 litres - 2 Miles to the litre then. I pay 31p a litre (UKpence)

My head hurts (just done 240 multiple choice questions - 180 more before bed time :o( )

... some one will do the maths shortly....

Reply to
Lee_D

There are a couple of calculators here:

at the bottom of the main page...

Reply to
Mother
4.54 litres to the gallon = 13.2 gallons. 120 miles / 13.2 gallons = 9 mpg I know its a V8 but there has got to be something wrong at 9 mpg

Reply to
stuart adair

For a Land Rover?

Reply to
Mother

Sounds about right for a gas converted V8 doesn't it. I never much bettered 9mpg with my 2.25litre petrol series lll.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Disco II V8 auto, average running around local (no city or traffic jams)

17.5mpg. Towing a 18' caravan from the north of Scotland to Cornwall and back 5 weeks ago, 15.5mpg! These figures are tank-to-tank averages, consistent and accurate, and they amazed me. I never expected to get that sort of mpg out of this vehicle, especially when towing! I think what makes the biggest difference with the V8 is simply how hard you accelerate in town use, pulling away from junctions etc. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Just under 14mpg

but remember it

Just under 10.5mpg.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I have a 1995 Discovery V8i 3.9 ES Auto which has been worked very hard (45000 miles) and I get 250-270 miles out of 82 litres of unleaded no matter how I drive (I don't hang around but I am not a boy racer either). Much of the time I am towing 2-3 tons (flat bed, not too much wind resistance), and I don't hang around then either. Fuel consumption is remarkably consistent irrespective of driving style, air con is on all the time as well and that must eat a little bit of energy. Works out to between 14mpg and 15mpg. I seem to remember getting 18mpg once upon a time but to acheive that it would be necessary to really work for it. Looking at the plugs the mixture may just be a tiny hint on the rich side but only a hint, that must be better than too lean.

Les

Reply to
Dadio

It's Auto 3.9.... And I'm driving...... mainly urban.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ah never mind Lee I bet you still have a grin when you are sat in traffic surrounded by all that luxury :-) Its about what I was getting but mainly motorways she was good for low 20s cruising at around the nsl (honest ossifer) 3.5efi auto so a bigish trailer must knock off a good 25% Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Tue, 6 Sep 2005 21:22:22 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

my 3.5 disco was returning 13 mpg typical unless seriously hard towing, using an open loop system with Ecomax. I'd expect a 3.9 to do no worse, maybe slightly better with a closed loop system.

9 mpg unless towing something huge and heavy or driving *very* hard is low.

same disco (mine) did about 18 mpg on a run on petrol, or about 16 mpg typical.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thats made my mind up then - Its a TD5 for me

Reply to
stuart adair

I was told this was about right by a LPG installer who didn't instal my system but did fix it for me when it all went a bit Pete Tong a month or so ago. I do have the option of getting it all remapped but I will wait and see what I get when I get my hands on it a bit more. Once the Rangie goes (done a deal on a Laguna) as Mrs D will no doubt be a bit more inclined to be seen out in that, can't say I blame her as I get a little depressed going out in the Rangie now having walked past the Disco, Disabled Percy and the 101.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's horses for courses really. I've owned V8 and Diesel Range rovers and can tell you that the diesel really spoils the vehicle.

Our Disco arrived with an LPG conversion so I was in pocket straight away really. The way I look at is I'm getting the equivelent of 27mpg on Petrol around the town (fuel costs wise!) until the duty gets rogered. And it's still a V8. If ever I get 15mpg on a run then the equivelent on petrol would be 45mpg. I also get extra range and a contingency for the next fuel shortage (one should be along shortly ;0) ).

If the cost of the fuel is really that much of an issue then you could be better off looking at other marque.

Of course the way Land rover seem to be going there won't be any decissions to be made in the future.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

2001 Disco II TD5, recent journeys have come in at 31mpg. These where from the North Pennines down to Birmingham and back and down to Leeds and back. Little bit of local running but mostly motorway cruising at a tad over 60mph.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice