Which is the best Discovery for me ?

I drive lots of motorway miles and want something to cruise at 70 all day. I am thinking about a 1996 / 1997 Discovery. I used to have a 1995 diesel and I know that cruising at motorway speeds for a long time can be a strain so I'm thinking about a V8 with LPG fuel :-

1) Anyone out there have a LPG fuelled V8 and what are they like ?

2) At 70 mph how many revs is the engine doing with a manual box compared to an auto box ?

3) Any other advice would be very welcome.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Adair

Why do you want a Discovery at all? If you live on the motorway, they are not the greatest things, but it all depends on what you drive on when you get off the motorway.

I've done many thousands of miles in my previous V8i. LPG is a good thing to have, but get big tanks. I had two 35 litres tanks, and they don't get you much further than 200 miles. I used to fill up every day, which means that on balance a diesel would be much faster if you knock the 10-15 minute filling time and general inconvenience off the trip.

With LPG is used to get 31 mpg equivalent. Petrol has since gone up in relation to LPG, so it might now do slightly better. It took a few goes to get the LPG dead right, but worth it when it is.

Upgrade the brakes and get the shock absorbers changed if they aren't new. Hit the brakes hard at 70mph + on a damp motorway - you'll see what I mean. I ran the tyres at 32 psi front and 36 rear, not the half-flat settings that Land Rover recommend.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs