Why can't I get in the Discovery?

Just been out to car to get a cd out of cd player and using the key fob tried to unlock the Discovery. Nothing happens when either button is pressed on my key or Bruce's and the red light on the dash is flickering on and off. Have checked round the car and all the door locks are down and appears to be locked. Any ideas what's wrong?

Its a bit late to try and get in so can someone give me the instructions for gaining entry using the key for a 2000 Discovery, if its still not working in the morning, as the handbook is in the glovebox!

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Sun, 09 Oct 2005 00:32:32 GMT, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

can you not use the key in the driver's door?

or have they disabled that?

bloody anti-theft devices that don't let you in are silly: if someone wants to get in and nick yer stereo, the easiest way by far is to smash the window.

immobilisers that prevent them driving the whole thing off are more justified, but equally prone to cause enormous annoyance sometimes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

so Nikki was, like...

There's a key sequence which lets you in with the key in the driver's door. It's all down to a number of turns (left/right) and pauses. This will bypass the locking and let you in. Unfortunately, the four digits you need to know are probably in the handbook, which is in the glovebox. LR give you it on a credit-card type card, which most people keep in the little wallet thing - in the handbook. In the glovebox.

If you ever do get in, make a point of writing down the sequence and keeping it in the house. Which reminds me...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I have been having identical problems with mine. i am now getting a replacement alarm ecu to see if it cures it. if you open the door with the key the alarm goes off and you can not start it. what i did was re synchronise the fobs with the alarm, take the battery out the fob, press each button in turn for 10 seconds, put battery back in and standing next to the car press the right button upto 6 times, usually by the 5th it should work. on mine if this did not work i unlocked the drivers door first then did the above. for more info see here-

Paul

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles at snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.net wrote on 9/10/05 9:58 am:

Not tried yet. It was too late when I went out to the car last night and didn't fancy having the alarm going off.

Don't know about that either!

Reply to
Nikki

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote on 9/10/05 10:06 am:

It's the proceedure for using the key sequence that I am after. After reading the handbook when we first got it, I made a point of removing the two credit card thing with the number on and put one in Bruce's wallet and one in my purse. I have also got the number writen down in on a piece of paper in the folder that all the other bits and bobs are in for the Discovery.

Not been out to it today to try and get in it, but i'll let you know how I get on!

Reply to
Nikki

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Paul at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 9/10/05 10:25 am:

Thanks. If I can't get in it in a minute, I'll try this and have a look at the website.

Reply to
Nikki

I can't help wondering why people moan about the electrics on a P38. Looks like the Disco is just as bad!!!

As to your other post on LPG Nikki, I'm using an OMVL SGI setup on my P38, I'm very pleased with it

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Gerry, is your P38 a Gems or Thor engine? (Gems has the big rectangular inlet plenum, thor has the "bunch o' bananas) TIA, Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hope it gets fixed soon...without costing to much

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

so Nikki was, like...

OK - from memory: Put key in lock, turn as if to unlock and keep it there

10 seconds (might be more). Then turn key slowly and deliberately to the right and back to the centre n times, where n is the first number in the sequence. Then turn it to the left and back x times, where x is the second digit. Next one to the right, last one to the left, and it should bleep, the alarm light do something or other, and you're in.

If that doesn't work, try perms and combs on the above, as it's a couple of years since I had the Disco. But that's the basis of the procedure.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So do I mate! Already taken it from the north of Scotland to North Wales for the importer to have a look-see at it, he tried a few things but he himself says there are setup issues, much as I've said all along. (Autocalibrate pulls the revs right down from 2800ish to about 1100ish whilst calibrating, and takes a good 45 seconds to do so - not right.) He seems to be genuinely helpful, he was away to italy last week so hoping for some wiring pin-out details from him this week to see if there's an issue with the harness maybe.... other than that, everyone seems to be at a loss. Apparently, there have been quite a few of these 4.0 thor engines with the bosch motronic ecu converted using the OMVL Dream 21N system, and allegedly they setup and run nicer than the Gems engines, so obviously I have issues, but no-one as yet seems to have the cure! Bloody annoying having it sitting there, converted with a full tank of gas, but unable to run it except on petrol (on which it performs faultlessly, I hasten to add). Out of curiosity, who did your installation? Maybe I might pick their brains to see if they have ever encountered a similar fault to mine? Badger.

Reply to
Badger

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Richard Brookman at snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote on 9/10/05 9:54 pm:

Thanks for that, but got in ok. I went out again this afternoon, still nothing happening when I pressed the button on key. Decided that I'd try the key to open the drivers door, which I did half expecting the alarm to go off...but it didn't. Got the book out of glove box and tried the key fob to lock car when I got out. It's locked and unlocked fine since then and started up ok.

Have made a copy of entry instructions for future reference anyway so if anyone ever needs them I can send them a pdf with the instructions.

Reply to
Nikki

Sorry for the poor formatting - copied from the Land Rover website owners manual .pdf file. Steve.

Locks & Alarm

35

  1. Ensure that all doors are

closed, then using the key turn

the driver's door lock to the

UNLOCK position (towards the

front of the car) and hold in

this position for at least 5

seconds until the alarm sounder sounds once).

Then return the key to the centre position. It is

now possible to use the key to enter the

separate numerical values of the four numbers

that make up the emergency key access code.

  1. Enter the FIRST number of

the code. If the first number is

4, turn the key (towards the

front of the car) to the UNLOCK

position 4 times. Ensure the

key is FULLY returned to the

centre position after each turn.

  1. Enter the SECOND number

of the code. If the second

number is 3, turn the key

(towards the rear) to the LOCK

position 3 times. Remember;

the key must be FULLY

returned to the centre position after each turn.

  1. Enter the THIRD number of

the code. If the third number is

12, turn the key to the UNLOCK

position twelve times,

ensuring that the key is FULLY

returned to the centre position

after each turn.

  1. Enter the FOURTH number

of the code. If the fourth

number is 1, turn the key to the

LOCK position once. Ensure

the key is FULLY returned to

the centre position.

  1. Finally, turn the key to the

UNLOCK position once more.

If the code has been entered

correctly, a double 'bleep' will

sound (a single 'bleep'

indicates that the code has

been entered incorrectly).

NOTE: If the Mislock audible warning has been

deselected (by a Land Rover Dealer/Authorised

Repairer), the alarm sounder will not sound

when an EKA code has been entered. Instead,

the alarm indicator light on the instrument

panel will flash once (for one second) to

indicate a successful code entry.

There is now a five-minute delay before the

alarm and engine immobiliser are deactivated.

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO

ENTER THE VEHICLE YET!

  1. Through the driver's door window, observe

the anti-theft alarm indicator light on the

instrument panel. If code entry was successful,

this light will continue flashing (once every two

seconds) for the five minute delay period.

DO NOT OPEN THE DOOR OR ATTEMPT TO

ENTER THE VEHICLE until the full delay period

has elapsed - this will be indicated by the

anti-theft alarm indicator light extinguishing.

  1. Now open the door, insert the key into the

starter and turn the switch to position 'II'

IMMEDIATELY! If the starter switch is not

turned to position 'II' within 30 seconds of the

indicator light extinguishing, the engine will

automatically immobilise again.

If an incorrect code has been entered:

If an incorrect code has been entered, the alarm

sounder will sound once and the anti-theft

alarm indicator light will continue to flash. In

this case, return to operation '1' and re-enter

the code.

After three failed entry attempts, the security

system invokes a delay period of ten minutes

during which the system will not accept any

further attempts to enter a code.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Memorise the emergency key access code

or keep the Security card on your person in

case of emergencies. NEVER leave the card

in the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve L

in article 43491389$0$21365$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Gerry at snipped-for-privacy@REMOVESPAMnetscape.net wrote on 9/10/05 1:55 pm:

Thanks for the info about LPG system. Going to make a decision about it this week.

As for Land Rover electrics, the worst we had was on the old Disco when it locked me out in a thunder storm, with all four kids, several years ago now. When I finally got in it the engine was immobilised. We ended up taking the documents into the Land Rover dealer too proove we owned it, then once Bruce was at the car phoned them up and the technician instructed Bruce how to bypass the alarm etc over the phone.

Reply to
Nikki

I converted mine myself. It was a old Voltran/BRC single point system when I bought it. Awful setup. Even the wife's a convert to LPG.She fills it up sometimes I can't tell the difference in performance between petrol or gas

If they suspect the harness would it not be a simple job to swap them out? I assume the correct polarity leads were used.

When I calibrate mine it goes through in matter of seconds. Revs probably only vary by a few hundred rpm, (more if you forget to turn the air con off) I'd be interested to hear what fixes it.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

in article X3h2f.85780$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Steve L at snipped-for-privacy@remove.blueyonder.co.uk wrote on 9/10/05 11:45 pm:

Thanks for that, but managed to get in without alarm going off and retrieve book.

Reply to
Nikki

Have to remove the upper half of the manifold again, at another £20 for yet another gasket!

Allegedly so.....

Well, my rpm drops considerably and it takes some time. Theory still stands of harness issues, but it could even be the main injector harness having one or more injector plug internal connections crossed, thereby having some inverted and some normal, the dream wouldn't like that, apparently. Spoke first thing with the importer today, he's waiting on OMVL getting the pin-out wiring from AEB and then he'll mail it straight to me, that way I can get moving with this. I'll probably stick the result once it's cured on uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:52:06 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I put those poncey LED "bulbs" on the minibus the other day. One wouldn't work. Put the bulb back, fine. Swapped the led "bulb" for another, also didn't work. Thought "hang on... that one was working just now..." and then realised that when I'd replaced the bulbholder, I'd wired it up arse-about-face. Bulbs, of course, work just as well with reversed polarity, not so LEDs.

Pity they can't get brighter amber leds in 'em, though - the amber ones look dim compared to the red and white ones. I may email the company and point this out...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

FFS. A thief would have smashed the window by now. Blasted security systems are more trouble than they're worth. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB