ROT: Computer milling machines

I'm after a milling machine - not high power, more focus accuracy for making shells from coins. The type of thing I'm after will machine out a 2p so I can fit a 10p in it. (This is an example of the accuracy I need, not the actual application...) Erm, if that makes sense...

Also important that it'll take a basic CAD applications output and be able to mill in a name in 0.1mm (1/10mm) script.

I know this is prolly pushing the ROT, but there bein' some injineers erabouts anall...

Reply to
Mother

You only need model engineering scale stuff. Look in a copy of Model Engineering. Or look for "Compucut"

A baby milling machine can be outfitted with CompuCut for around 1000 quid all in.

There is a Yahoo group CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO which is an absolutely priceless resource.

If you want something knocking up let me know next week. Axminster do a nice tiny machine that would make a neat base unit.

1/10 mm is only 2.5 thou high. That would need very high resolution steppers and really good screws.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Ah, hadn't thought about scaling it down to model making equipment, good suggestion...

Which is _exactly_ on my budget!

If I can ever get YohooGripes to accept that (even though I'm on many lists as a result of the old, pre-yahoogroups) and let me login, I may subscribe...

May need a little chat, then :-)

Yeah, I'd eventually want to get even better accuracy too, but should that come to be, I'll happily pay for it...

This has all been somewhat unfortunately forced upon me at short notice due to an alarmingly early mention of

five months before we were intending to launch the site :-(

(There's not much on the site at present, another 'quick to do' on the cards - if you'll excuse the pun...)

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:48:50 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

would an' all. serious precision stuff. You might be into watchmaker's territory, I reckon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'd be thinking that slide ways and gibs would be too sloppy, and looking at precision ballslide ways.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

No it's not it is nearer 4"'

Reply to
GbH

You're right, its roughly 40 thou per mm. so 1/10mm = 4 thou. Sorry.

Steve

Reply to
Steve