Wild Wales Safari's - LRO Style... £'s

Hi,

Has anyone taken part in one of these organised events? £100 for a weekend's driving seems a bit steep if all the lanes are public roads?

What else do you get for your money?

If the Free day at Stainby earlier in the year is anything to go by then I suspect the pay days will be enjoyable... But i'd just like peoples experiances.

The other way to look at it I supose is this - The next Wales event is between Christmas and New Year - what a PERFECT way to avoid the relatives!! All of a sudden £100 seems cheap!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

In message , Jon writes

Does it include the overnight accommodation?

I went on a similar thing once with the same guy on the lanes around Aberystwyth. It was aimed at first time laners/shiney vehicles with road tyres. Some spectacular scenery though.

Reply to
hugh

Ya we've done the LRO trip and what your paying for is the guide really and i guess a little support if your LR breaks down ( not that they'll fix anything mind).

The two day trip is quite a varied amble across north wales really, Good for a introduction really or to get your LR dirty for the first time! But as you can imagine you wont get any 1-2-1 tuition unless you manage to get stuck!

Price wise it is steep especailly if you've been off-roading before!

For exactly the same thing try the link below, only £20ish a day.

If yo haven't been off road before i would suggest a play in a quarry for a few hours or so first to get you familar with things etc.

Hope this helps

Mark

Reply to
Jinx

So hugh was, like

Was all fixed to go on the event this weekend (burfday and all that) but when I phoned they were fully booked for the 6th/7th. They are running another one on the last w/end in November, but I am busy with something else that weekend, so I'll have to wait until the one after that. Rats. You have to fix your own accommodation, and the start is at 9-9:30 am, so you really need to sort out something for the Friday night as well if you are coming from a long way away.

I thought the price was reasonable for the organisation and the assistance if you got stuck over a two-day trip. It's supposed to be OK for shineys, but at that distance I'd be in the RR anyway, whatever. There are lots of places to trial in Pembrokeshire, but not many green lanes, so I was looking forward to a longish drive over some spectacular countryside. Next time, maybe.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Been to K-quads down near Carmarthen (llangain ? We had a fun day last year , though I managed to get utterly, totally irretrievably (except with a tractor and smirking 14 year old driver. Bastard) stuck.

Nice folks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

OK, thanks. As a seasoned off-roader with a far less than shiny 90 I suspect I should give these days a miss. I'll give the simply site mentioned below - nice drives for £20ish sounds much more apealing!

thanks jon

Reply to
Jon

Why not just join a (Land Rover) Club? Annual subs around

20 quid, and thats it! If you local one doesn't do what you want, get yourself on the committee and organise it.

I'd be more than willing to show someone trying to get organised the lanes I know in the Peaks or round Llangollen, but it would have to be on a Saturday (and I'd be trying to sell you stuff all day to.......).

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

To be honest I am / was in my local club but they are much more RTV / CCV biased. After a few years doing that I now want to do more green--laning.

Does anyone know if yorkshire off road club do much green laning - they arent too far away from me.

jon

Reply to
Jon

We do very little "organised" green laning due to the inevitable problems of numbers etc... At our annual Helmsley weekend (July) we usually have a green lane run where small groups (3 motors per group) are given different routes to follow and sent off for the day but this is not what you'd describe as the clubs main activity. Most green laning is organised informally between members either at the pub/club night, the clubs email list or whilst at one of our events. That way we can offer marked up maps for members to copy and they can sort themselves out.

The club's core activity is off road competition for road going motors. Most of our events are trials although the challenge event (no winches, no locking diffs), the Navigational Scatter (navigational on road event) and fun days are popular too. Most of the camping weekends involve green laning for those that want to do that but it's an informal thing organised between members rather than a club event as such.

The club is affiliated to GLASS and has a place on the North Yorkshire Trails Management Advisory Group (NYTMAG) as well as one of the local access forums. So we do take an active interest in green laning as an issue, particularly in Yorkshire.

To my mind, green laning isn't something that clubs should promote directly but the clubs should act as a meeting place for like minded people and provide those people with the information they need to find and use the lanes legally and sensibly.

cheers

Dave W. (Chairman, Yorkshire Off Road Club)

Dave White