Winch Power / "Gods Must Be etc" Any truth?

This has probably been asked before but I can't find a reference: did or does a Landy winch have the power to haul an 88 or 90 vertically from the ground, as delightfully portrayed in that film?

I grew up in canvas 88's in the 1950's, but we never had a winch----.

Reply to
brafield

I can't answer this for sure, but winches other than capstan winches were rare on Landrovers until at least the eighties, and the ones fitted before this were invariably direct mechanical or hydraulic. Either of these could well have had enough power to do what you are asking, but as they rely on engine power, the engine would have stopped before it became vertical due to either fuel starvation or lubrication failure.

The winch in the film was clearly electric. These were either non-existent or very uncommon until the eighties (the availability of these with their relatively low cost and easy installation meant they then became much more common). Some (but not all) electric winches have enough power to haul an

88 or 90 vertical, and running from the battery are not dependent on the engine keeping going. Although they obviously would do better with a sealed or at least semi-sealed battery. JD
Reply to
JD

The winch in question is a very old Ramsey DCY8000 series, most likely a DCY900R, with a commercially rated line pull of 8000lbs and a stall pull of

12000lbs, so it would quite easily raise a landrover off the ground as long as it has sufficient current supply (450A at 8000lbs on the first layer of the drum) and the landy isn't loaded to over, say, 6000lbs. It's the same winch I have on my 110, and it's a cracking piece of kit, much better made than a lot of the winches on the market today. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

It was an electric winch, so as long as The Anti-Christ was fitted with a sealed battery to stop the acid running out, it's entirely feasible. Having owned a Series 1 of that ilk I remember the film fondly as it brought back memories of a good piece of Meccano-like kit I used to own before I came out to Oz many years ago.

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

**** I'd like to say a big THANKS to the prompt and helpful (and unbelievably fact-fileld) responses to my question.

Now, "Anti-Christ" is --- what? The film-sta Landy's nickname? An 88 Series I nickname? Cheers! ****

.
Reply to
brafield

It was also referred to as "son of a malakka", I think, whatever that translates into! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

"Malakka" is a Greek swear-word isn't it? at least, thats what all the wogs here say.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Aahhh... WOG....;. Weight On Ground switch, as fitted to the undercarriage of an aircraft, now renamed WOW (Weight On Wheels) by the PC brigade, god bless 'em! ;-) Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yes, the name the mechanic in the film called it, amongst other colourful names. I often think of using that name for my 38 year old S11, which has just given me a good weekend's service helping a friend of mine move house, in the middle of a near cyclonic storm that has lasted all weeked. Thank heavens for the holes in the floor letting all the rain drain away :)

Karen

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Yes those unplanned holes in the floor are useful for something :)

Reply to
Larry