Three point turns

Has anyone ever made a three point turn in a series 3 109 ? Not possible in my street, never mind reverse parking, one of these days I will get completely blocked in because some idiot has parked too close.

Reply to
Larry

in article bo6o7p$19rclh$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-129032.news.uni-berlin.de, Larry at snipped-for-privacy@larry-arnold.com wrote on 3/11/03 23:15:

I saw somebody park right up close too, and outside of the marked bay ,the rear of a 101 outside one of the banks in Yeovil. The 101 driver came out the bank looked at how close the offending vehicle to his own, got into the

101 and reversed pushing the car about 5 feet back and into the middle of a junction before driving off. Result, one little mn jumping about trying to explain his bad parking to a warden.
Reply to
Rory Manton

Yes. Mind you, also made six point turns, and nine point turns........... All depends on how wide the road is! It is easier if you have the narrowest standard tyres (7.50x16) with plenty of air in them. JD

Reply to
JD

I do three pointers outside my mums house, but it does involve driving on the neighbours lawn! Otherwise its always odd number from 5 upwards.

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

Yeah, plenty of times. Actually it was a Series 2 109 diesel. It just takes a bit of doing thats all. Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

I don't think my neighbours or there visitors would appreciate me doing that to there cars, there would probably torch my landie (or me instead) if I did. Its not a nice place to live.

Reply to
Larry

I once had to do one on a mini roundabout in the Series 2, because the lock just wasn't tight enough to get me round. The prat who had tailgated me around had a scary moment in his shinymobile!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Hi!

I had enough problems sometimes with my 90! It's only about the length of a Fiesta - but if people parked up close it was a real tussle! It hasn't got power steering. That's partly why I now use a VW Passat for my commute to work and, despite it being a lot longer than the 90, it's never a problem getting out of parking spaces.

Also, a bit off topic, but to do with turning circles. In RTV trialling people tend to fit larger 7.50 size size tyres to 90s and 88's. This seems logical as it increases the contact 'footprint' and raises ground clearance. But you have to adjust the lockstops, so you can't turn so tight, and you raise the centre of gravity too.

cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

In message , Prof Rollerball writes

Yup, the wider the tyres the poorer the turning circle.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Tim Hobbs writes

Would have been quite amusing if it had been the 101!!!!

Reply to
hugh

A well set-out section will set traps for all configurations! It's always a great source of amusement amongst us bog standard leaf sprung motor drivers to watch the trick motors fail - at the end of the day, driver ability is far more important that trickery, the only exception being that you do need some sort of tread on your tyres! There's a little old couple who turn up every year to the ARC National in a bog standard 80" Series I 1600 with 6.00 "old style" tyres and beat the pants off the lot of us with monotonous regularity......

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

The other day an old couple in a micra pulled over and let me past after i'd followed them for a mile or so in my 101!. Now thats the sort of respect you _should_ get in a 101 :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Managed a 3 point turn in an old army 109 once .... on a runway. It was a close thing ;-)

LOL Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Yeah baby!!!!!!!

Reply to
Lee_D

three point turns, pah! i cant even get the tractor round some of teh corners in my neighbourhood. still its a 4WD so im sure a few kerbs wont do it any harm. neither big nor clever admittedly, but expedient for sure

teddave

Also important with no power steering - the wider the tyres, the harder to turn. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Tue, 4 Nov 2003 23:08:22 +0000, hugh enlightened us thusly:

Put wide tyres on 8-spokes on mine, and got better turning circle - more (or less) offset in the wheels, so they sit further out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sounds like Dave Bygrave from Essex LROC. If it is, he's been trialling for a looooooong time.

Beth

Reply to
Beth Clarke

I saw someone manouvreing a 1960's Ferrari 250 GTO, which looked like it had a worse turning circle than a 109 - but then it was built for the racetrack, not the car park!

cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

On or around Wed, 5 Nov 2003 19:48:52 -0000, "Prof Rollerball" enlightened us thusly:

very pretty, very rare and very very fast, for it's time. Motor magazine got hold of Nick Mason's one to test and compare with the then-new 512BB, reckoned that it was down around the 5 second 0-60 mark, without trying too hard, 'cos they didn't want to break it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles