Winter good samaritan checklist

So, here in the UK we've just had a chilly reminder that winter is upon us shortly with very heavy frosts catching a few people out who haven't prepared properly. I thought it would be good to tap the collective mind of Usenet to generate a winter checklist of things that we should carry in our Land Rover's to be prepared for all winter eventualities such as breaking down ourselves, or acting the good samaritan when coming across another road user having broken down. Here's my starter for ten, please add as you think of more and I will summarise them all together on a web page ...

- Warm clothing (fleece, hat, gloves, etc)

- Spare clothing

- Shovel

- Recovery rope

- Recovery shackles

- Jate rings / recovery eyes

- Tool kit including essentials such as WD40, de-icer, lock de-icer.

- Fuel cans with unleaded and diesel in

- Funnel

- Spare coolant anti-freeze pre-mix

- Fire extinguisher

- Mobile phone

- Hi-lift jack

- Tyre pump

- Jump leads

Regards,

Dave. '92 200tdi 90

Reply to
Dave Smith

That's a good start, to which I would add

- Fortnum and Mason's jumbo festive hamper

- Inflatable yellow helicopter

- Britney Spears

Kind regards,

M :o)

94 300tdi 90
Reply to
McBad

Keep the lock de-icer in the house or in your pocket....... last year I had 100 bottles on the van one icy morning and none in my hand...............

- RadWeld

And if in Good Samartian mode:

- sheaf of legal disclaimers against damage, injury, causing the end of the world etc.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Dave Smith wrote in news:437ed187$0$82675$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net:

Bucket of sand. No kidding.

Long line of traffic stuck on the hill out of Craigellachie, Speyside, all due to one lorry with spinning wheels. Nobody thought to see what he had last carried -- sand! Five minutes with a shovel and everyone was moving again. With your list, we'd still be there.

Derry (10 years on Speyside and not bothered by snow)

Reply to
Derry Argue

In message , Dave Smith writes

A piece of paper with the following words on it "I, (print name) agree that any assistance rendered is at my request and entirely at my own risk and in no way will (insert your name) be responsible for any damage to this vehicle (enter reg no) or any personal possessions or injury to myself or any of my passengers."

Or something along those lines. You don't think that's necessary?

Reply to
hugh

Don't forget wellies or boots and socks, leggings will keep snow out of your wellie tops.

Whats the WD40 for? I guess sopping wet spark ignition things? In which case an old towel is probably just as effective. Indeed a towel or two should be on the list anyway. Drying/wiping hands etc

Unless you happen across a vechicle that has only just started to burn I can't see much point. A small one ins't going to have the umph to put out very much and the damage is so quick to body panels/paint work the car rapid becomes a write off anyway. And why waste time trying and probably failing to put out a fire if some one is trapped? I guess you could use the fire extinguisher to break windows to get people out. One of those emergancy hammers is probably better to break toughend glass though. I've watch people try and break an old toughened windscreen with a cold chisel and medium hammer, started with a gentle tap, ended up really having to give it some wellie before it went.

With charged battery, car adapter or spare battery.

Good one. It's sad that one has to think of these things though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Someone once put up a standard salvage agreement with disclaimers in it for tow recovery, anyone remember where it is?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

For toughened glass all you need is a spring loaded centre punch. Just give the window a pop near the edge and it's all over. No hassle, no looking stupid and no flying glass.

I've put out a couple of fairly well-involved under bonnet fires with a

2kg dry powder extinguisher - worth carrying if for no other reason than for use on your own vehicle if the unexpected happens.
Reply to
EMB

Because Sarah Ferguson is short a few quid at the moment, and the merchandising royalties from Budgie would help her out this Christmas

I think Derry already covered this with his "Bucket of sand" :@)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I also carry a bag of cheap cat litter (I do my servicing at the roadside about 20 minutes form my house and often have a bit of a spill) and glass cleaner (fecking great for degreasing mucky hands) a cheap sleeping bag (takes up less space than a blanket and way better.

Just reminded me, wifes car battery is about 6 years old and I don't know how old mine is (only bought the car this year) so a couple of new batteries will be sought.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

If your carrying all that stuff around as a good samaritan I'd suggest you pack another type of Jack as a highlift will make a terrible mess to the side of a Mundano with a flat.....

Reply to
Mark

...and Mark spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

This thread just reminds me of that fabulous "Tonycar" mpeg that was going about a while ago. Snow + 4x4 + stuck shiny pimpmobile = lots of laughs. A Hi-lift would have made it even better.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 07:17:38 +0000, Dave Smith scribbled the following nonsense:

Start n charge Torch Windscreen waasher fluid (prediluted) Wellies

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Hi Group You have missed one important thing- Ask what political party do you support? If its LibDem, F........ stay there you pillock! Merry Christmas to all except LibDems Robert

Reply to
Roberts

This one?

Lazy feckers got exactly what they deserved IMO - t'would have been easier and quicker to dig it out - not that it was actually stuck, though...

Reply to
Mother

...and Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Here's my starter for ten, please add as you think of more and

So you all think that owning a 4x4 means you can get anywhere without getting stuck? .... but what IF there is a long line of immobile vehicles and you are bedded in for the night?

My list invariably includes (much to Rich's amusement and horror): A rucksuck in which there is - Head-torch Sleeping bags Foil emergency bags Leki Sticks (plus snow ends) Walking Boots Thick socks Trangia stove Matches Instant soup Instant coffee/tea/milk Water Thermal gloves & hat Mars Bars Old carpet - to put under wheels Plus, of course, all the items that Dave mentions - which leaves no room for luggage.

Because we have always carried these in the depths of winter heading through North Wales we have never ever got stuck - so the moral of the story is to always carry EVERYTHING and you will have a clear run!

Reply to
Diane Brookman

Some people are just SOOOOOOOOOO stupid.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

...and Diane Brookman spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

The Land Rover never gets stuck - but the articulated trailer we have to pull behind causes no end of bother. :-(

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:05:50 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

Halford's "big industrial wipes" are good, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles