winterise the caravan.

OK not landrover based but plenty of us have them.

I did ours last Saturday then it snowed later in the week... maybe my subconcious picked it up?

Anyway , just a reminder, drain the filler tank on the loo, all the pipes by leaving the taps on in hot,,, then cold until drained and also drain the water heater.

I didn't in our first year and blew pipes off the shower... which I didn't find out about until I used the shower on holiday.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Heh, we use ours all year round ... it's more reliable than the Landie in cold weather ... ;)

Going to Nottingham for christmas (but might stay in a hotel) and Sherwood Forest for New Year in the caravan .. with a bit of green-laning and a 'play day' to be arranged yet.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In message , Lee_D writes

If you're not planning on using it then disconnect the battery - ideally take it home and give it a trickle charge from time to time.

Reply to
hugh

So out of interest I assume you drain the water pipes each trip? Or do you chance it?

We've used ours in Christmas week a couple of years back but at the present time it's a none starter as Mrs_D is having a bit of a time of it with bump.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Caravan is here with a solar charger hooked up. And if I get around to it any time soon will be plugged in to the mains for the occasional warming through.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

mine gets drained down after each trip, winter or summer to avoid amy problems! admittedly it is only the water filter and heater that are affected, but......

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Mostly, yes we drain them, takes but a minute to re-fill .... but as you say, open the taps so an airlock can't develop during both emptying and re-filling.

If we're laying it up for more than a month we also make sure the tyre pressures are at the top end of the range. Might be more of a 'mental' thing but we feel they're less likely to be affected than lower pressures would be. We also make sure that any vents to outside, typically in the toilet/shower, and under seats/bunks and wardrobes/cupboards don't have anything blocking them. Good ventilation is your best chance against anything getting wet inside and not drying out.

Very understandable. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

If you don't open the taps the water will not drain out of the supply pipes and so might freeze up.

Good idea. Less flexing of the walls at higher pressure. Axle stands or a spare set of wheels with dud tyres also useful.

Quite agree. Good ventilation = no dampness. If laying up for a few months I also spray around inside all the floor level storage lockers with a powerful insecticide.

Reply to
hugh