Would anyone consider this as viable for a daily runner?

Before I even waste my time going to look.

Is the "radiator" light a common problem? Or is some bull to sell to those who don't know where to ask about such things?

Reply to
Elder

The rad light will be for low coolant, not overheating. It's a pile of shit, but it will probably be ok if you give it a very good go over. Just make sure there is coolant in it or it's not just a bag of s**te (which it probably is BTW)

Reply to
Nige

Please regard this as a clue rather than a definitive answer as my LR is a disco of 1995 vintage. Coolant loss leading to engine horrors isn't unknown on disco's so I found out that a RR header tank has a float switch in it that warns of low coolant level - and bought one for retro-fitting as it will fit. So, if the "radiator" light is a low coolant level light and the coolant ain't low then it's an instrumentation problem. Hope this helps. Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

Yep, they have a funny probe, my old RRC was lit up for ever. Chancged it & it was fine. Make sure there is water in it though.

Reply to
Nige

Should be simple enough to check turn on ignition the low coolant light is on remove the header tank cap and invert and it should by rights go off but you need to take it for a test run to reassure yourself its not blowing at the head a small blow can empty the header very quickly. I would be tempted at the price an LPG kit would cost about that.Check the electrics work while you are about it ( here he goes again ) crappy wiring plugs and loom mean you could spend a month trying to get everything working at the same time.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

It must have been reasonable. It sold on a B.I.N before I had chance to check for replies. Being a fan of old Skodas, and Saabs, I always check HG ploblems. Skodas with long waterways from the front radiator to the rear engine and just water instead anti-freeze were prone to failure due to corrosion. Saabs were less so, but due to the fact that they lasted so long otherwise, the HGs would eventually fail unless changed (usually between

180 and 250k miles).

So I always check suspect head gaskets and even "well known" red herring causes of the symptoms without the fault. Seen a couple more that I might be interested in, depending on how they finish. I want an LPG Rangie Auto on cheap. Rangie because LPG conversions are common and pretty sorted now. They are fairly cheap and common place. They are comfy. An auto in drive crawling would have made my 1mph progress up the Mancunian way on Friday evening so much more comfortable on my knee. Parts and Insurance would be cheaper than the Octavia I'm currently driving.

Just need to find someone who wants to pay well under dealer price for a

2000 Octavia GlXi with MOT until January, FSH and just over 104k on the clock.
Reply to
Elder