Would anyone consider a repaired Cat C write off?

Saab 9000 Aeros normally start at arround the =A33k mark, for a lot higher= =20 mileage.

This one looks (in the photos) to be well repaired.

Would anyone consider a Cat C that had been repaired and had 12 months=20 MOT? I've contacted the seller, and the repairs in the picture are all=20 that it needed (he says), but the front bumper cover had an insurance=20 repair cost on it's own of =A31000.

I'm tempted, but don't know.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

TBH, my "little" bump in my Mondeo could almost have been that bad. OK, I= =20 didn't need a bonnet, but I needed a bumper, cross member (and apparently= =20 an intercooler, but I'd have left that personally).

Cars are very modular these days. The bits that were damaged on mine just= =20 unbolted, and the new ones went straight on.

If you're not certain, take it for a drive.

It probably doesn't help, but since my bump, the car's developed a well=20 known TDCI 130 problem (resonating intercooler pipework) :-/

Pete.

--=20 NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be deleted Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail

Reply to
Pete Smith

Saab 9000 Aeros normally start at arround the £3k mark, for a lot higher mileage.

This one looks (in the photos) to be well repaired.

Would anyone consider a Cat C that had been repaired and had 12 months MOT? I've contacted the seller, and the repairs in the picture are all that it needed (he says), but the front bumper cover had an insurance repair cost on it's own of £1000.

I'm tempted, but don't know.

I sold my last car as a cat C write-off. The damage was minor and purely cosmetic but still more than the insurers valued the car at!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Cheers Pete. I know that Saabs are strong. I know that they can easily=20 be sorted, and I know that insurance companies write off older luxury=20 cars because of expensive repairs. Guess I'm just getting paranoid.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Cheers Darren. I might keep a watch on that then. It's a little too far to go to veiw/test drive. It would have to be low=20 enough for a spur of the moment buy it and chance it. And for a car that=20 normally sells at =A31000 more than the current bid is at, it may actually= =20 be selling at that sort of price.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Cheers Pete. I know that Saabs are strong.

About as strong as a Vectra :O)

Reply to
jOn

No, that is the new ones. The old ones would pull a vectra to pieces,=20 literally. And it is more a case of the New Vectra is a Saab rather than=20 the New Saab is a Vectra.

the NG900 (94 onwards) was the cavalier floorpan with Saabised=20 suspension, styling, engine and interior. The first 93 was based on the vectra. The much touted new (latest model) vectra had it's suspension and=20 floorpan designed by Saab, for first use as an Opel/Vauxhall then across=20 the GM model ranges.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

This one looks (in the photos) to be well repaired.

Would anyone consider a Cat C that had been repaired and had 12 months MOT? I've contacted the seller, and the repairs in the picture are all that it needed (he says), but the front bumper cover had an insurance repair cost on it's own of £1000.

I'm tempted, but don't know.

Check with your insurance company first, you may need all sorts of engineers reports before you can get insurance.

Reply to
SimonJ

Get insurance quotes. You need to tell the insurer if it's been a previous write off, and this could affect the premium. If you don't, you tend to get f*ck all for the car when it's hpi'd after a crash / some scrote burning it out.

Reply to
doki

Wasn't aware of that. Cheers.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Oh bugger. Hoped with it having 12 months MOT that would be sufficient. Damn.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

He has the VIC, and the V5, as well as the 12 months MOT. Would the inspection required to get a VIC include an=20 alignment/strutural inspection and check?

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Yes.

The fact it's on a Cat C basically means bugger all. Ok, you'll get a smaller pay out if you crash it and claim, but the car is costing you less in the first place.

If it's straight enough, the Mot is straight, and the car drives straight, then I wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning on trading it in at a garage at some point. Garages can be very snotty about repaired cars.. even though most cars on the road have been repaired at some point.

Reply to
Pete M

ur=20

Shame it isn't a bit closer, I would get you to check it out for me.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I've just looked at the pics for the first time, and the first thing to jump out at me, screaming loudly "Don't buy me" was the bonnet gaps.

Ok, gaps are adjustable, but if they've not bothered to do that....

Reply to
Pete M

ur=20

Well, he reckons it has the VIC as well as the new MOT and the V5. But, guess you are right.

BTW, just had a look again. Can't see anything wrong from the pictures=20 regarding panel gaps. they are quite large. but Saabs always had fairly=20 large (but even) gaps.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

What is the deal with buying cars from a scrapyard that have been in a crash, obviously an insurance write-off and repairing them to be used again on the roads?

Are there any issues one should be aware of doing this (other than obvious safety issues) ie. I imagine the insurance companies won't be to happy to insure a car that was once written off.

Cheers in advance.

Jon

Reply to
JonnyBoy

Usually from Salvage auctions rather than Yards. Yards tend to buy the CAT A and CAT B recent cars from there for spares (Cat B can only be broken for parts or scrap, Cat A can only be for scrap materials. Mechanics buy Cat C and Cat D for repair)

If it is a Cat D, it can just be repaired, MOT'd and you need to tell the insurance when you insure it. If it is a Cat C, you need to get a Vehicle Inspection Certificate (don't know where from) to prove it is back to road worthy, and a new MOT, and inform the insurance. I believe the logbook/V5 also says "Damage Repaired".

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar