write offs

Does anyone know what description what category write off cars refer to? I've just a cat D write off that doesnt look too bad or is there something I'm missing? I assume there are A,B and C ones?

Thanks Richard

1995 V8i Discovery 1986 V8 90
Reply to
Richard

D means that it won't need a Vehicle Identity Check to put it back on the road, the following stolen from my local breakers web site:

Over 10 years ago, bone fide salvage dealers & Insurers agreed a code of practice to combat vehicle crime through categorising salvage by the extent of damage using codes A, B, C, D or cat X for other cars that were not damaged enough to warrant recording.

Seriously damaged vehicles (cat A & B) would only be sold as suitable for parts. Equally, genuinely repairable salvage (cat C, D & X) would be categorised as suitable for sale to repair.

A = Absolute junk - i.e. the costs of collection & processing exceed any return from selling parts from the salvage.

B = Break for spares - i.e. the costs of collection & processing are less than the probable return from selling parts from the salvage

C = Can be repaired, but the COR (Cost Of Repairs - at dealer retail price) exceeds PAV (Pre-Accident Value) May need a Vehicle Identity Check (Government money making scheme, charging £35 to check a chassis number that has already been inspected)

D = Definitely repairable (& assessed COR less than PAV)

X = NOT recorded as damaged at HPI etc ie stolen recovered or minimally damaged cars

HTH

Reply to
Pete Foster

Thats great. Thank you very much. Richard

Reply to
Richard