Stubborn Antenna Mast

Hello folks,

I've read all the threads on here about replacing the antenna mast. They all say "just slide the old mast out and feed the new one in".

I've tried that, numerous times, however the old mast won't just slide out. I can see the old chrome sleeve at the bast of the mast, and looking at the new sleeve that came with the new mast, the sleeve has little tabs on it that look like they will lock the mast in place once insterted. The car is a '95 900. Any help is appreciated.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

I recently did mine (in a 9000), but it's basically the same procedure. As your assistant is operating the radio, keep pulling on the mast as it comes up. Unfortunately for me, there was a piece of the masts plastic belt broken off inside the antenna assembly requiring disasembly. If you are lucky enough to have it all come out in one piece, have your assistant do the radio on/off as you insert the new antenna. You may have to twist it around untill the teeth catch. It will self adjust with a few more on/off's. Here is a link to the procedure for your car

(at the bottom of thetable) Hope this helps.

Reply to
ajs

I was told that it was really easy to replace also. I ended up just buying the part and having a mechanic put it in. Took 5-10 minutes.

Reply to
ngwcaa

Hello there esty uh,

I'm having exactly the same issue as the original post on this thread - i.e. the old sleeve will not come out, which prevents the new one from being inserted in its place. The old mast and nylon thread did come out easily though. Not sure how to resolve this and I don't want to force it and pull the whole mechanism out of joint. Any ideas would be welcome. The other two replies didn't answer the question unfortunately.

Reply to
dirksimons

Hello there esty uh,

I'm having exactly the same issue as the original post on this thread - i.e. the old sleeve will not come out, which prevents the new one from being inserted in its place. The old mast and nylon thread did come out easily though. Not sure how to resolve this and I don't want to force it and pull the whole mechanism out of joint. Any ideas would be welcome. The other two replies didn't answer the question unfortunately.

Reply to
dirksimons

Take the unit out of the car. Dismantle it so you have the tube with the stuck bit. Stick a rod up it from the bottom and tap the sleeve out. Reassemble. I have had to do this twice on 9000s!

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith