3000GT Power Antenna

My 1991 3000GT's power antenna broke a couple days ago. It no longer goes up or down, but the motor runs when I turn the radio on and off. I pulled the antenna mast off by unscrewing the retaining nut on top. With the antenna fully extended, the nylon toothed rack cable extends about 4" past the bottom of the mast. Based on instructions in the service manual, with the antenna fully extended, I am supposed to be able to push the rack cable back into the motor and then turn it 90 degrees so that it will mesh with the motor gear and lock into place.

I can't seem to get it to lock properly and was wondering if the rack cable might have broken so that the end is still in the motor housing and the remaining portion is too short to use. It appears I will need to remove the inner trim panel to gain access to the antenna motor. Has anyone had this happen and if so was it the cable? Do I just need to purchase a new collapsible mast and rack cable assembly and try that before looking at the motor?

Advice and experience is much appreciated.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob:

This has happened to me twice. The bottom of the antenna mast (nylon) has broken off and is inside the motor housing. If the piece is not too large you might be able to insert a new mast as you described below. Give it a try.

If it does not work, you will have to remove all that trim to remove the entire antenna assembly. Open the motor housing, remove the broken "tail" and put all back as it was originally. Then, with all in place, reinsert the antenna mast.

Much work. The dealer wanted $175. It cost me $41.50. Personally, I think it may be worth the $175 ....

Norm

Reply to
NSN

I have one on mine. I don't use it though, as it spoils the look of the car. So it's down all the time.

In this day and age why do they still insist on putting one on a car when it car be incorporated into the windscreen or something?

Regards

Rob

Reply to
Will it Work?

Try

They have most parts and very cheap!

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, NSN at snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote on 10/26/04 9:05 AM:

Reply to
MrWho

Thanks for the response. You have confirmed my suspicions. I looked at the parts bin, but did not see the antenna mast for my vehicle. I think I'll go to the dealer and see about the cost of a replacement mast. If it is only $42, I'll consider it a bargain. I'll try to insert first as you suggest, but am prepared to take apart the inside trim to get to the motor if needed (no way I'm going to pay someone else to do something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

Bob

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, NSN at snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote on 10/26/04 9:05 AM:

Bob:

This has happened to me twice. The bottom of the antenna mast (nylon) has broken off and is inside the motor housing. If the piece is not too large you might be able to insert a new mast as you described below. Give it a try.

If it does not work, you will have to remove all that trim to remove the entire antenna assembly. Open the motor housing, remove the broken "tail" and put all back as it was originally. Then, with all in place, reinsert the antenna mast.

Much work. The dealer wanted $175. It cost me $41.50. Personally, I think it may be worth the $175 ....

Norm

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob:

I did not get it from the dealer .. I bought it on-line for $36.50 plus shipping at:

Ot would have cost me $60.00 at the dealer.

Norm

parts bin, but did not see the antenna mast for my vehicle. I think I'll go to the dealer and see about the cost of a replacement mast. If it is only $42, I'll consider it a bargain. I'll try to insert first as you suggest, but am prepared to take apart the inside trim to get to the motor if needed (no way I'm going to pay someone else to do something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

wrote on 10/26/04 9:05 AM:

Reply to
NSN

Norm SN,

Thanks for the tip, but I must be blind, but did not see any parts listed at the 3si site, just marketing type merchandise like shirts, hats, keychains, floor mats...

I called the local dealer and they want $53 and some change before sales tax. I'd rather pay the $36.50 so if you see this tonight I'd appreciate some direction on where to find the replacement antenna. Thanks again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob:

Go here and scroll down almost to the bottom:

$39.50 plus shipping.

Norm

parts bin, but did not see the antenna mast for my vehicle. I think I'll go to the dealer and see about the cost of a replacement mast. If it is only $42, I'll consider it a bargain. I'll try to insert first as you suggest, but am prepared to take apart the inside trim to get to the motor if needed (no way I'm going to pay someone else to do something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself.

wrote on 10/26/04 9:05 AM:

Reply to
NSN

Norm,

Thanks again for the info. Thanks to your note, I was able to find this part elsewhere for even less...

I found a company up in Milwaukee that sells the exact same OEM Mitsubishi part for $27.95 plus $5 shipping on EBay. I made the purchase this afternoon and they have already confirmed that they shipped the part via USPS express mail today so I should get it Saturday or Monday at the latest.

The funniest part about this is that after checking with Mitsubishi and learning the part was $53.31, I called the local Chrysler dealer (same part used for 1991-99 Stealth) and they wanted $58.13 for the same part. When I asked if they had it in stock they said no, that it would take three days to order form a distributor in Milwaukee, WI. I'd bet money that the company, Bridgewood Motorsports, is the same one that is advertising all types of power antenna parts and kits through EBay.

Thanks again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Common practice. With the 3K/VR4, you can get an ISC for 300-400 bucks. It's the same part as an Eclipse and that is only 180. Of course there is a lot cheaper than that to be found....

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

The Bridgewood antenna mast arrived today and I needed to remove the inner trim panel to access and remove the power antenna motor. When I opened the rewind drum, I found four broken cable rack sections so removed them, wiped out all the old dry grease, re-greased with some white lithium stuff I had around and put it all back together. The new cable went in without a problem following the procedure in the service manual. Then re-assembled the trim panel, storage compartment tray and cover. The whole job took about an hour total time and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Bob:

Much work for a mast switch. Too bad they did not make it easier to get at.

Norm

Reply to
NSN