2000 Lexus ES300 - needs new driver-side headlight - please help

What's the most economical way to replace with quality/factory parts? Mechanic wants to charge ~$90 ($20 for the part) for the job.

Reply to
Anna

$90, including $20 for a HEADLIGHT?!?!

Replacement Headlight Assembly - Right - Passenger Side

Your Price: $190.95

Quantity: Part Number: 7524-02019983 Notes: w/o high intensity discharge

$90 is a bargain!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just the bulbs, or the entire headlight assembly?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The driver-side bulb went out so just the bulb (not entire assembly).

Reply to
Anna

I agree with Jeff. Ask everyone you know if they've got an independent mechanic they've been happy with. If anyone says "Jiffy Lube", "Firestone", etc., ignore those suggestions because those places are a crap shoot. You're looking for someplace like "Scotty's Auto Repair", and when you get the right kind of recommendation, the person you're talking to will go on forever about why they like the place. That's how you know you've got a good one, usually.

Got any friends who are good at this kind of stuff? If you see it done once, you'll probably remember how to do it the next time.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Bring it by and I'll change it for 15 bucks, you buy the bulb of course.... Or, this is how it's done, remember to use gloves or a rag when handling the bulbs....never touch them unless you want to replace them in a month or so.

Fatter Than Ever Moe

Nice!!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Where's a good place to buy the bulb? I want quality/factory parts or better at a reasonable price.

Reply to
Anna

Any decent auto parts store is fine. You'll see brand names that you'll recognize. But please - don't buy those stupid cold blue bulbs which make other drivers want to send a bullet through your windshield.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

OH! In that case, $90 is *WAY* too much.

Even $10 would be too much, and even the most expensive bulb is $19, and I'm sure your mechanic is not using that (SilverStar)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I buy a lot of stuff at Mall-Wart except bulbs. The *Pilots* I bought burned out in *DAYS*! And of course I used a clean paper towel to aid in handling the bulb.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why?

That's what I use. Actually, that's what came with the Scion.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I realize that now. But when I saw "Headlight" for $20...

I should have been a little suspicious...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Your car takes one of several different types of standard bulbs.

Lift the hood, unscrew the lamp from the headlight assembly, buy a new lamp and screw it in. There is a connector that has to be unplugged and plugged back in, but otherwise this is a job that can be done by pretty much anybody. The automaker works very hard to make this a job that can be done at home and not require the services of yoru local garage.

The lamps ought to be replaced in pairs, one for each side of the car -- save the lamp that still works for an emergency spare to be used at a later date.

Lamps are numbered, 9006, 9007, and others. Once you determine the model number, there are various qualities of light that are available from standard to ultra bright. (Part of the reason to replace in pairs is so that both sides of the car produce the same quality of light.) You are required to use the same number, 9006, 9007, and so on, but you can select from any of the light spectrums (light qualities) that you think you prefer. Logic would suggest that you want the brightest/whitest possible option.

Lamps are available at the autoparts department of such places as Target and WalMart, as well as at auto parts stores. If yo are not comfortable replacing the light youself, yoiu might have a neighbor or friend that can handle the task with ease, or you might consider asking WalMart to install them.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hachi, all she needs is the bulb, not the entire lamp assembly.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Your car takes a model (typically expressed as 9004, 9006, 9007, H1, H7, or others) that is widely available at the autoparts store on the corner by your house. You can also find the same thing at WalMart and Target. Once you identify the number, there are vairious selections of it that define the brightness of the light that comes out. Bright = higher cost, as a general rule. You should find bulbs in the $20 range.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I like them. And ANY coating on any optic CUTS the amount of light transmitted.

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's as good a reason as "As Seen On TV". :-)

So? It's still a lousy reason.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

DAMN! Now I know who has the MONEY in this group!

Reply to
Hachiroku

High-Intensity Discharge, for most high end systems.

In others, it's just a plain bulb with a focusing lens.

Reply to
Hachiroku