2000 Lexus ES300 - needs new driver-side headlight - please help

The headlight bulb! $19-24 a pop for bulbs?!?!?

They must be pretty freakin' good...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Brighter also typically means it doesn't last as long (for the bulb types that do have a range of brightnesses available). It's a tradeoff, whether you want more light or longer life.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

I've had SilverStar bulbs on my BMW for 4+ years. I'd do it again. They have SilverStar Ultra now, I'd probably do them when these break.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I did not take into account the "projector type" lamps. I'm not sure what the light source is in those, but I'm sure it can be replaced.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The lights or the car gave me away?

The car is a '94 that I bought used 4 years ago and have put something like

14,000 miles on it since I bought it.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks!!! This is really good information. I'm learning so much. I was thinking about replacing both lamps. The good explanation confirms it.

Really appreciate all the guidance EVERYONE ...

Reply to
Anna

My car takes 4 ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, that's my case. The battery is slightly in the way.

Reply to
Anna

This is really an easy job.

ONE RULE Do NOT touch the glass of the new bulb with your fingers. These bulbs get very hot as a normal function of their operation. The oils on your fingers will make a hot spot on the glass that will cause it to explode. If you happen to touch the glass, you _must_ clean it with alcohol and a catton wipe (the type you use to remove makeup works well, a tissue works too, but the cotton is better) before you install it.

The bulb has a connector on the back, the shape of the connector is part of what designates the bulb as 9004, 9006, and so on.

The bulb is held in place inside the lamp assembly by a spring clip or by a nut that you simply twist counterclockwise to remove. It should turn about

1/3 of a turn.

You would do well to actually buy the new bulbs first, but you could remove the defective bulb and carry it to the store and match it up. I would not hesitate to recommend the Silver Star (Sylvania, I think) or the Silver Star Ultra. I'd encourage you to resist the temptation for the blue bulbs that the "ricers" like to use. Having said that, I've not actually sat behind blue lights, they might work very well, but I think they look hokey when they are coming at me. All of these options are available as a 9004, 9006, and so on.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's a good idea, but...

my preference is for replacing the dead one and carrying having a spare to replace the other when it dies. I've seen more than one person online bemoaning that they replaced both (usually with a variety that was bright but shorter life) and they were so evenly matched that when one burned out, the other promptly did so as well.

I'd rather have a little more inconvenience but less risk of losing them both, the thought of losing both on a backwoods Wisconsin road at midnight is a little unsettling. Besides, I'm frugal, and if it ain't burned out, I'm not going to replace it.

If you mostly drive in lit areas, it wouldn't make much difference.

As someone else said, it's important with halogens not to get fingerprints on the glass, it's not hard but you have to remember.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

There is no correlation to two new bulbs affecting each other. Indeed, there is no correlation to the new bulb affecting the old one. The only correlation is that if one old bulb has burned out, the other old bulb is not far behind.

Headlamps should be replaced in pairs, one on each side of the car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Trivially handled by having a new pair as spares.

Tight is the word, not frugal.

You're unlikely to lose both high and low beam on the one trip.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Found a link with nice pics ...

Anna

I didn't say they affected each other.

True (unless perhaps some other electrical problem is involved). And in the worst-case event, that both bulbs last _exactly_ their rated life, they both burn out at the same time. I agree, it doesn't seem probable. But I have seen people describing situations where both went out within a few hours of each other.

Why? Other than for convenience in replacement?

I'm currently running with one higher-output bulb (put in three months ago) and one standard bulb (put in who knows when.. before I bought the car two years ago). I assure you, it works just fine, although it may offend your sense of symmetry.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

You got the round 3-piece lights?

They used to be illegal, but we knew where to get them.

$80 for headlights?

Reply to
Hachiroku

You may be able to sneak around it OK. I know on one of my Yotas, I had to move it out of the way, but on the other I was able to get it in and out, but not too easily.

I love Toyotas, but I'd like to go to Japan once in a while and punch an engineer in the nose. Like, you're supposed to change the oil when the engine is warm, but WHO PUTS AN OIL FILTER RIGHT UNDER THE EXHAUST HEADER?!?!?!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Found the following info with this link ...

2000 LEXUS ES300 (With halogen capsule headlamps)

Low beam headlamp H7 H7SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen H7ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen H7EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice H7XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light H7CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

The SilverStar Ultra H7 SU costs ~$20-$40 for twin pack on Amazon, which is not bad. Does this sound right?

Reply to
Anna

ARE THEY WORTH $100?!?!?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

???

I have the 5 1/4 inch round lamps, two low beam and two high beam. That's four bulbs, closer to $25 ea. when I bought them. I think the price has come down a few dollars since the Ultras came out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, it sounds about right.

But you can cruise over to WalMart and get them for the same price ~ 34 dollars for a pair. Target has them too. Not to mention all of the autoparts chain stores. I'd not buy these on Amazon. There is no price advantage, and there's a delay in getting them to your house.

If you have a 120 mile drive into town to go to WalMart, then perhaps Amazon makes sense.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland