2000 RX300 - Worth Buyiing Extended Warranty ?

My RX300 has two months left on the 4-year/48000mile warranty that came with it when we bought the car in August 2000. So far so good, the car (SUV ?) has been running fine. We have about 36500 miles on it.

Our dealer is offering 7 yr/100,000 warranty with 0 deductible, for $2150.00 This will extend the Lexus factory warranty for another 3 years (since I do not drive it as much, I doubt if I will hit 100K in the next 3 years).

Is this worth it ? Has anyone given any consideration to it ?

Thanks for your feedback.

-- Bill

Reply to
techtrainer

Since the warranty would not cover expected expenses (tires, brakes, reg maint). I would say it's a bad deal. You would be hard pressed to imagine spending $2000 in repairs over 3 years in any vehicle with that many miles on it, let alone a Lexus. I'd skip it. Chip

Reply to
chip

Thanks, Chip. I agree with you. I will hang on to the $2150 and use it when repairs are really needed. Hopefully nothing will break on the warranty items.

Reply to
techtrainer

I too, agree with the advice, but I also last month paid $1,800 to replace my 2000 LX-470's A/C compressor which pretty much blew up.

I was about a year/10,000 miles out of warranty.

Still love the truck, tho.

good luck, rt

Reply to
rt

rt:

Assuming you had the warranty, would this (a/c compressor) have been covered ?

-- bill

Reply to
techtrainer

That appears to be the advertised price on the Lexus Website.

I purchased the Lexus Extended Service Coverage (Platinum Program) from a Lexus Dealer. The Platinum Program covers more components than the Gold Program. I believe it can be transferred, but only once to the next owner. Advertised price on the Lexus Website for the 7yr/100Kmiles for my 2000 Lexus ES 300 was $1825. Price I paid (in Southern California) was $1595.

Shop the various Lexus Dealers where you are and see what they will offer. I had prices like $1660 and $1900 quoted for the same program. Some Lexus Dealers didn't return my call for a quote. Others did not know the Lexus Extended Service policy had changed since 2/2004.

My Toyota dealer was prepared to sell me a 3-year extended warranty coverage for $2100 for my ES 300. I'll still go to them for the $22 29-minute oil change though. (My Lexus Dealer charges $55 for an oil change)

Reply to
Iona Camry