RX330 compared to the RX300

Because of the Christmas holiday, I was able to have an RX330 loaner for 4 days while my RX300 was in for its 15,000 mile service. I had some time to compare the two, and overall, I prefer my RX300. Here are my thoughts...

Ride: The RX330 and RX300 are virtually tied for ride. I really didn't notice much of a difference

Noise: The RX330 is better insulated, but the engine is quite loud and intrudes upon acceleration. The 330 has more wind noise but the engine is quieter and less intrusive.

Transmission: The RX300 wins here. The 330 frequently hunted betweeen

2nd and 3rd and between 3rd and 4th. The result was jerky shifts that even my passenger noticed.

Handling: Although the 330 initially seems to handle better, its steering "ocillates" at 40mph and above. So the edge needs to go to the 300.

Audio system: The 300 wins easily. The 330 sounds "shrill" and my passengers said it was unpleasant.

Comfort: I'm 6'2" and I fit OK in the 300. But I don't fit well in th

330 despite the tilt/telescope wheel. The problem is that the parking brake presses and rubs against my left foot which it doesn't do in the 300, and the accelerator is too close compared to the 300.

Gas mileage: In city driving, it's a tie. In highway, however, the

330 seems to get 2mpg better.

So, maybe Lexus has improved on the 300, but I don't see it.

Bob

Reply to
Bobby G

Bobby,

With all due respect, your 'Noise' assessment is totally contradictory. You stated that the "RX330 is better insulated, but the engine is QUITE LOUD AND INTRUDES UPON ACCELERATION." Then in your very next sentence you stated that "The 330 has more wind noise but the engine is QUIETER AND LESS INTRUSIVE."

This just doesn't make any sense to me...

S.T.

Reply to
S.T.

This is surprising. Probably my only complaint about my 2003 RX300 is the 4 speed automatic. having had 5 speeds in other Lexus model I found the 4 speed to be inferior.

Reply to
DonB

Reply to
Stephen Keown

I don't have either of these problems in my '330...

Reply to
Kathy Applebaum

I just did a 1300 mile road trip last week in my '330, and got 26.5 on the highway average. True, no AC this time of year, but we were climbing a few mountains and accelerating past a few trucks along the way. In the summer, with the AC blasting, I was regularly getting 24-25 on the highway with my '330.

Of course, there's lots of variables. Tire inflation, quality of roads, gas, individual driver, etc. :)

Reply to
Kathy Applebaum

We aren't close to that.....we just came back from a trip (1400 miles) and averaged about 22.5.

What grade of fuel do you use?

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I usually use 89 octane, but I sometimes splurge on 91. Our most recent trip I did one tank of 91, and the rest were 89.

FWIW, I usually leave it on cruise control on the freeway unless there's lots of traffic.

Kathy A.

Reply to
Kathy Applebaum

Your passengers sound like the FAB 5... is this so?

Reply to
Dan Smereczynski

I currently have a 330 on loan since my '03 300 is in for 10K service and the service guy wanted to "tease" me.

I have to say I'm happy I went with the 300. I don't like what they did with the drivers portion of the dash, looks too much like an airplane's cockpit. I also think that the rear window is smaller. The loaner is the silver with the grey leather interior and I hate the contrasting black top dashboard against the grey. On the plus side, the engine is great, I LOVE the power rear door and I love the radio controls on the steering wheel. It definitely looks good sitting in my driveway!

At least now I don't feel as if I'm missing out on something spectacular. I got my 300 in March just as the 330's were coming out and everytime I see the 330's on the road, I would say "I should have waited". Now I won't be saying that anymore.

LR

Reply to
LRISR

Having experienced the buggy transmission programming in the 2002 ES300, I would say Bobby is probably right on the money about the RX330's transmission behavior, as it sounds like the problems I've had with the

5-speed in my ES300. The Lexus engineers are really out to lunch when it comes to the 5 speed electronic tranny. They came out with a "fix" for the ES300 several months ago. While it improved some aspects of its performance, it introduced a very dangerous lag at low speeds. I used to think Lexus was the gold standard for quality automobile engineering, but my experience with their newer 5 speed electronic trannies has made me a doubter.

Reply to
Steve Larson

Your driving habits likely don't accentuate the problems that Lexus has with its electronic 5-speed transmissions. Many Lexus drivers have had issues with the new computer-controlled transmissions and drive-by-wire throttle, exactly as the original poster described.

Reply to
Steve Larson

I've had the LS and GS with the 5 speed auto and it is smooth as a baby's behind.

Reply to
DonB

Based on my issues with my 2002 ES300, I will not be a repeat customer. It has not been the Lexus experience I expected. If the pricier models don't exhibit this behavior, then I frown on Lexus for cutting corners in the ES300. Not everyone has experienced issues with the new 5 speed transmission, but it's terribly frustrating and dangerous for those who have experienced the problems.

Reply to
Steve Larson