Anyone own a 1990 LS400?

I know nothing abt Lexus

Nephew will be using a 1990 LS400 as a vehicle for college

It has 200k miles on it

Anyone own this model/year and give me some feedback on it?

Any advice, opinions, info will be appreciated!!

Reply to
me6

Sounds like mine 200400mi. It really depends how well it was taken care of during the first 200K. It is very reliable, but expensive to repair if/when things go wrong - parts are a killer.. I get about 18 city(or less)/25hwy mi/gal. It takes a FULL 5 quarts of 5w30 and I always carry a quart, just in case. It seems to consume oil(not a lot) on very long trips (1K), but should ever be a problem if you change your oil every 3500 mi. The AC is the old Freon, so a conversion is necessary should it fail. It has a non-interference engine and they would like you to change the timing belt every 60K, but I did not follow that schedule (Changed @ 120K, and the mechanic said it looked perfect - you decide). The climate control LCD is notorious for failure. If the PS pump leaks, it will take out the alternator. The radiator overflow tank has a tendency to crack (and leak) at the sensor port. The batteries seem to need to be replaced more than other cars I have owned, but not excessive.

It is an "old man's" car and basically drives itself. Still has plenty of get up and go, but I wouldn't be "hotrodding" it around corners though - a weak design point that they addressed in 1993. Being rear wheel drive, winter driving can be a challenge - snow tires are almost mandatory. Being

14 years old, things tend to get a little brittle (i.e., I cracked the bolt to the headlight assembly, and the Japanese never did have the best plastics).

All that said, it has been quite reliable, and I was never put on the spot and left without transportation.

Reply to
Jerohm

My personal experience with a '91 echoes all of this except for the radiator issue. They still look and drive great.

Derek

Reply to
Derek A. Bill

Thanks for the great info!!

Well like I said Ive never owned a Lexus and didn't know anything abt them. Ive owned several Toyotas and Mazdas tho.

Anyway...... my 19 year old nephew and his mother were VERY close to buying a brand new car.

I just didn't feel very good abt him and his mom buying a new car... nd making a commitment like that at his age given he is off to college in a few weeks.

Since his Mom already had this older Lexus I suggested he take it to college with him and drive it awhile. Or at least drive it for a year or two before committing to new car payments.

I also suggested to get the LS400 checked out by a good mechanic first. Which they said they did.

I didn't realize the LS400 was a rear wheel drive vehicle tho. Since he will be going to school in Kansas City Missouri..... and coming home to Hannibal Missouri on the opposite side of the state.... I will suggest to his mother to maybe thing abt getting some Blizzak tires for it. Good idea?

The reason his Mom was wanting to get a new car is she wants something safer to drive than what he was driving.... i.e 1994 Aries K car. She wanted something with airbags, etc

Surely the LS400 will be "safer" wont it? It is a bigger car than the K car

Reply to
me6

Great idea. Full set of 4.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

How many months or in what months can you run those Blizzaks?

I guess Im asking if one should run them sparingly..... or if you can run them longer than one would think and not worry too much abt wear?

Again we are in north Missouri. Snow season starts say Nov and end May

But could he run them even longer than that without them wearing out TOO fast? Maybe all school season long and only changing to summer tires when school is out for summer?

Reply to
me6

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net proclaimed :

I'm not sure of this exact brand but snow tires are typically *much* harder than all season radials as are the more aggressive tread pattern. The end result is that snow tires aren't well equipped to run on dry pavement for long periods of time. It will be much noisier, have a much harsher ride and not handle as well as all season radials.

I'd suggest only installing them when the snow season starts and then removing them, (replacing them with all season radials), once the snow has melted and spring has begun and you're reasonably sure that there won't be any more major snow accumulation.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01

The idea is that you run them during the winter, from brand new; by the time winter is over, the things that make it good on ice are worn down and now you have a great all-season tire.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" proclaimed :

huh? An all season tire and a snow tread tire are *completely* different tires. "Wearing it down" in two or three months of riding on ice isn't going to change the tread pattern or it's construction. In fact, there will be very little wear at all if the tires are run mostly in snow.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01

I use these

all yearround as somewhat of a compromise. They have a tread life of 50K and Idon't have to pay to have tires switched ~425US$ / 4. They are reasonablyquiet in the summer.

Reply to
Jerohm

Never heard of Nokian.

Who are they?

Tel me a bit abt them

Reply to
me6

Actually they were recommend to me on this thread. I purchased mine online (probably the cheapest method & delivered by UPS) and and had them mounted locally. I wanted an all wheel alignment done at the same time. They are available locally, but you are going to have to hunt down a dealer. Their site can probably be of more help than me

I ama believer in them and probably a customer for life. Maybe not quite asgood as both snow and summer tires, but lot less work.

Reply to
Jerohm

So they are an all season tire that really WORKS?

Or are they a snow tire that can just be run all year round?

Reply to
me6

Probably the later (or maybe the former!) Start a new topic asking opinions of them (WRs) and I am sure that many will share their experiences. My only complaint, is that the tread pattern is so aggressive, it has a tendancy to pick up stone (an make those clicking noise). They aren't the same as studded tire for sure, but they are a very high quality tire. I was more worried about noise during summer driving, and they really aren't a problem.

Reply to
Jerohm

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net proclaimed :

Nokian tires are manufactured by Nokia. Yes, the cell phone company. The tires used to be called Nokia as well but was renamed to differentiate itself from Nokias cell phone division.

The Hakkapeliitta line of snow tires by Nokian have a loyal following.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01

Previously in alt.autos.lexus, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net proclaimed :

no, they are a *snow* tire not an all season tire. Most snow tires are only R rated as these are.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

-Unknown __________________________________________________________________________ Remove "die spammers" to email

Reply to
wideglide01

Reply to
TelePuterer

On their site Nokian claims for these tires:

"Only four-season family of tires that carries the Severe Service Emblem exceeding new government snow condition regulations"

How many seasons are there, if a four-season does not qualify as all seasons?

Nokian makes summertires, all season tires, and studless winter tires, but is most famous for its studded wintertires. I had Nokian studless winter tires (older Nokian Hakkapeliitta Q) on a Volvo V70 and currently Nokian summertires (NRZi) on LS400. Both tires have been ok. The studless winter tires are no good on (shiny) ice, but excellent on snow and in the typical Finnish winter. NRZi are slightly noisier than the optimal luxury car tire.

Nokian has skyrocketed in the Helsinki Stock market during the last five years (up 200%), so they are doing something right. Also, being a small tire manufacturer, they do not supply tires for new cars as OEM installations, but people who actually choose tires for their cars choose Nokian - giving an indication that it may not be the cheapest choise, but a quality conscious choise.

I choose my summertires from the offerings of Continental, Bridgestone, Michelin, and Nokian, but I like my winter tires to be Nokian.

Disclaimer: My wifes cousin works for Nokian.

Reply to
Jyrki Alakuijala