Dealer Recommendations for Glass & Paint Protection

I will take delivery of an ES350 in about two weeks. While at the dealer, I received a "preview" of some of the products they will offer when I take delivery.

The first one is a glass treatment known as "Diamon-Fusion" (

)which protects windshields from chips and cracks and also allows water to run off instantly.

The other is "Scotchgard Paint Protection Film" (

). This is a high-grade urethane film that is applied to the front bumper, mirror backs, and the front half of the hood to reduce paint chips and bug damage.

I would welcome comments and insights about these products pro or con. Are they worth the extra cost?

Thanks. // Alan

Reply to
AlanW

I wouldn't buy any of these. Car dealers notoriously make huge profit margins on these after-market products. You can buy them later after you've done your homework on such options. Typically, you will find that these offerings are greatly overpriced and/or not worth buying at all.

Reply to
David Z

Boy I sure am glad that the Lexus dealers are quality enough to recognize the problems with their cars! I have reallllllly been complaining about the glass in my windhield. During a rain it just won't let the water drain off very fast. In a heavy enough storm the water can get up to 18" deep and that just adds immeasurably to the weight of the car and lowers its gas milage way too much. Thus this dratted non-draining glass contributes to the warming of the earth problem which just shows how those Japenese lie - Koyota protocols indeed! So if you are one of those greenies - always trying to save the earth and such - go ahead and buy the glass stuff so the water will run off rapidly. Good luck!

Reply to
mcbrue

18" deep? From the windshield? What are you talking about?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I worked for a 'high-end' car detailer for a while. I asked specifically about the Scotchgard film and the manager told me it actually does work well. He is an expert in car care, so I trust his advice on this. I sure wouldn't buy it from the dealer though, if you can find another place to install it. Whenever a dealer puts this kind of accessory on a car they simply farm it out to the people who do it, then add a huge markup to the real price.

As for the glass stuff, 'protects glass from chips'? Um, I think I'd just use Rain-X. Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

Jeff wrote to mcbrue:

Y.H.B.T.

Reply to
St. John Smythe

I wouldn't buy either. No dealer-installed option is worth extra cost. For windshields, you can use Rain-X. I'm not sure how a urethane film can protect a car when it's going at 70mph and hit by a tiny stone. Moreover, you'll likely get paint chips on the sides thanks to doors of other cars parked beside yours.

Reply to
FKS