Door Lock Actuator Failure

I have a 1998 GS400 and within the last couple of weeks, both of the front doors have stopped responding to locking and locking with either the key remote or the drivers side locking button. The only way the doors can be locked or unlocked is with the key in the actual door exhibiting the failed lock. After a little research, I've learned that this is a problem Lexus is aware of and is not all-too uncommon. It is apparently associated with failures in the door lock actuator and/or solenoid. Others experiencing this problem are getting quotes from Lexus between $400 and $500 to fix, if the car is out of warranty. I would appreciate the group's experience with this issue, as I am preparing to contact Lexus for a resolution for those of us no longer covered under warranty. Thanks for your assistance.

Reply to
Bob

Hi Bob,

Let us know what happens. I had to pay $350 for a similar repair last month on my ES 300.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Mintz

Hmmm ... and Lexus is so great and has no problems ???? And they are not covering a known problem?????

Reply to
MCBRUE

Reply to
Rubio

I've seen quite a few posts in the Camry & Toyota truck NG's about this issue. MDT has responded to many of these that a common failure is one of the wires in between the door and doorframe that breaks and a simple splice solves the problem. I think he said the wire that usually breaks is green.

Reply to
davidj92