How hard is it to change the timing belt on a 96 LS400?

Dealership wants $590. Is this a big job? I have some mecahnical experience, taken out 1 engine on a rover, and a bunch of other stuff, but I'm no real mechanic. I have the service manual, is this accurate?

I've got 70K on the belt, am I treading dangerously?

Thanks

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d

Well you don't think that a Lexus dealership would have overpriced a service, do you? Their guys have to be paid the typical mechanics salary of $50/hr in the small towns, and probably $80/hr in the large towns, so ...

Reply to
MCBRUE

Sounds a fair price. look here for how to do it:

it isn't a diy first job.

70 k it is just due

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks! Just what I needed.

I wasn't questioning the value of the $590 (I think its a good deal actually), I just wanted to know if I could do it myself.

Dean

Reply to
deanbrown3d