installing oem Nav

Hello, is it possible to retrofit an OEM nav system in a car that didn't come w/ it?

Reply to
rx300nyc

Better off buying an aftermarket. It'll probably cost you $2000 to $3000 for parts and labor. Plus, I don't think is possible to retrofit it anyway.

Reply to
Jerome Tai

There is no better nav system than the Lexus OEM nav. Period.

-K

Reply to
Jim Johnson

HAHAHAHAHHA

You do realize that Lexus doesn't make thier own nav system........right?

They contract an AFTERMARKET company to produce the hardware, then have them build a propritary OS that runs NavTech software.

Your "Period" is more like a comma

Reply to
Masterson

Masterson,

You're missing the point entirely.

What difference does it make if Lexus outsources their navigation system? It was still designed and specified by lexus.

Many parts of an automobile are outsourced, such as TIRES, engine components (spark plugs, computer chips, etc.), body parts (most glass, etc).

The point is that the Lexus NAV system, AS DESIGNED AND SPECIFIED by LEXUS, is built for Lexus and installed and supported by Lexus.

His comment is still valid. There is no better nav system than the Lexus OEM nav. Period.

Reply to
Helmar Herman

The Toyota OEM one is easier to use in my opinion. Yes, they are very similar, but my 2003 4 runner NAV is a bit easier to plug in destinations, delete destinations, etc than in my ES 330 '04.

In either case, no one can beat the Toyota/Lexus Nav. This was the only reason I didn't buy an Accord, the Nav in the Accord does not compare...

Oh and the Nav in BMW is a joke!!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Before purchasing the GS430 I tested Acura's, Infiniti's, and BMW's Navigation system. The BMW was truly a joke. The other two were so-so, the Lexus was great. Obviously Lexus/Denso have spent many man-years on the human interface itself, as well as the underlying technology.

-K

Reply to
Jim Johnson

OK, try to buy the product from the aftermarket company (Denso). Guess what? you can't. Lexus' nav system comes with Lexus cars only (a.k.a OEM).

-K

Reply to
Jim Johnson

I agree with you totally, I own a 98 Lexus LS400 with first generation NAV and I feel that is better than my friends 2003 Honda Pilot Navigation system. I just recently brought an used 2003 Lexus LX470 and that NAV is 10x better than the first generation NAV. My point to rx300nyc is my rough estimate of $2000 to $3000 is pretty low, I'm sure it cost more than that to retrofit the NAV into his car. If he is willing to spend the money, then definitely get the OEM NAV.

Reply to
Jerome Tai