IS 350 = new tires every 10,000 miles?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Right on the Lexus web site it says,

"Tires fitted with 17- or 18-in wheels are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 20,000 miles (17-in) or 15,000 miles (18-in), depending on driving conditions."

Are you kidding? Does that mean if you get the Sport Package, which comes with 18" wheels, and you drive the car like it is meant to be driven, you are going to get about 10,000 miles per set of tires?

Just taking a look at the tirerack website, it looks like it is $925 just for the 4 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx tires, then you have to have them mounted, balanced, etc.

Oh, and don't you need a full 4-wheel alignment every time you replace the tires since they are different sizes front and rear, and I think you can't even rotate them side to side?

Are you going to have to spend WELL OVER $1,000 every 10,000 miles for new tires for this car, as if it isn't expensive enough to start with?!?!

Oh, and since these are SUMMER performance tires, at about 10,000 miles are you going to be slippin' and slidin' whenever there is the least bit of rain?? Do you need to change them at even lower miles?!

I drove the IS 350, I love it, but I do real estate and put over 30,000 miles on my current car last year. If I buy this, do I have to budget another $3,000-4,000 just for tires every year????

Reply to
jpSETI

This is not at all surprising.

Just factor it in to the cost of owning the car.

If you want a car that's cheaper to own, find one--but you'll compromise.

A high performance car is expensive to own. You may buy as much performance as you can afford.

It's obvious you don't understand this kind of car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

And beware the potholes - as 18" wheels with low profile tires are much more susceptible to damage.

Reply to
Tom K.

It's a Lexus not a Toyota, IT's also an expensive "sport" car for the most part.. not a corolla. You gotta pay to play as they say...

Reply to
Ruffrydasean

Think about NASCAR, they only get 100 miles or so on a set of race tires. How fast can you afford to go?

Reply to
Tercel GTS

Ummm, dude, like, I am now driving a clunker of an SUV. Putting the most crappy ('low' performance, traction-in-rain) tires on this car has GOT to be better, faster, better handling, more luxurious, etc, etc. than my land-yacht.

So sorry I don't understand your snooty, snobby pretentiousness!

Reply to
jpSETI