Lexus Pursuit: The Lexus Hybrid

[Ed. What's the asking price?]

It is the first of its kind in history. Yet you'll find signs of it in ancient hieroglyphics. And this fall, Lexus will turn the eighth letter of the alphabet into the symbol of an automotive revolution.

The "h," in this case, stands for "hybrid." But you could also say it represents "harmony." Two powerful forces working together as one: a gasoline engine and an electric motor. All wrapped up in an alluring skin that adds an air of refinement to an already sophisticated machine. Yes, the world's first luxury hybrid is going to be a Lexus. But with this kind of announcement come many questions. Lexus customers, after all, are some of the most discriminating people in the world. They won't accept just any innovation that comes their way. And we wouldn't expect them to.

That's why we devoted so many years to researching hybrid technology. The end result is a luxury hybrid that will impress even the toughest critics.

Our team of perfectionists is still busy scrutinizing every minute detail. But while you're waiting, you might want to peruse the following myths and facts about the catalyst of the next big automotive revolution: The Lexus Hybrid.

MYTH #1: You'll have to give up the finer things.

FACT: This fall, you'll realize how preposterous that statement really is. Rest assured, our hybrid vehicle will feature nothing less than the pinnacle of technology, design and luxury. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a Lexus. MYTH #2: It will be too slow.

FACT: This couldn't be further from the truth. The Lexus Hybrid's power plant features a 3.3-liter V6 gasoline engine, yet it's designed to deliver the acceleration of a 4.0-liter V8. With the addition of electric motors and high-voltage batteries, this advanced powertrain delivers 270 refined horsepower for excellent 0-60 times, as well as reduced fuel consumption and emissions.

MYTH #3: You'll have to plug it in. FACT: This is a Lexus, not an appliance. You won't have to plug it in because the gasoline engine charges the batteries while you drive. What's more, the batteries themselves are designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and the Hybrid Synergy Drive requires minimal maintenance. MYTH #4: It won't be as safe. FACT: First, this is a Lexus vehicle. So in addition to featuring all the luxury and refinement of our conventional vehicles, the Lexus Hybrid must also meet the same exacting safety standards. Because safety isn't a luxury. It's a necessity.

Reply to
Ablang

How about the "myth" that the batteries will cost the earth to replace when they die?

Also, who is Hilary Duff? And why should anyone care?

Reply to
GRL

Waranteed to last 100,000 miles. I'll bet their price drops by at least a factor of four in real terms over the next eight years; let's check back then.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

How about overall reliability. Generation 1 cars are notoriously problematic. Look at BMW's 745--first year were disasters. First Gen LS 400's have their problems too.

Reply to
MCAS NV

Yeah I saw that, too. If anybody but Toyota said it, I'd think they were lying.

Reply to
GRL

Hmm, I wonder how much of it will really be new? The basic drive train technology has been in use for more than eight years in Japan and elsewhere. There's no obvious reason to diddle with much else in the body...

I recall my first new car, an '86 Mazda 323, and feel hopeful. It was "new", but evolved from the GLC, and proved highly reliable.

Reply to
Richard Schumacher

Reply to
Richard Schumacher