Lexus RX330 tyre wear

Hi Just bought a 2004 model with only 38000 K's on it and the tyres, original Michelins, seem to be fairly worn. Is this normal for this type of vehicle? I've only had passenger cars before and would expect at leat 60000 K's...... Cheers Peter Perth West Australia

Reply to
Bear

I don't know anything specific about the RX330 but as a general rule performance tyres that offer a lot more grip last a lot less than harder compound tyres, I would expect that the Lexus has performance tyres so

38,000klms is not too bad.

Daryl

Reply to
D Walford

It's been thrashed. 60 k would be a reasonable expect

Reply to
atec 77

"Trust-Me" they love front disks and pads too [on top of dusting the front wheels with brake-pad-dust] and $900 for a general service is considered "normal"

Keep it away from Lexus service centres [even though they treat you like God and give you a loan car and car detail]

A wonderful vehicle esp. inside and reverse camera is neat, with superb build quality and very very low NVH....Bit of a enigma really

What did u pay for it?

OUT!

Reply to
auscars

When I bought my 05 ES here in the US, it had a sticker on it saying the tires are 'summer' tires and could wear out in as little as 20kmiles, which is about the distance your ES has gone. For what it's worth, my tires are nowhere near worn out at 20k miles. The service folks say if you aren't an aggresive driver, the tires will last longer.

So, if the equip the ES the same down there, you could, perhaps, presume it had been driven more aggresively. Or perhaps the previous owner didn't check the pressure, etc...

Reply to
Stephen Jacobs

As with any other make of car... it depends entirely on what type of running it does.

My old 5L Dunny has consistently gone through a set of high performance tyres (Michelin, Pirelli, etc) for every 20,000km travelled. Fuel consumption averages 12L/100km and front brake pads typically last well in excess of 100,000km.

Others I know get 60,000km from a set of cheap tyres, average

16L/100km and have their brake rotors machined every 20,000km.

There's no doubt that the type of running mine does (long distance cruising at sustained speeds, on secondary roads) is hard on tyres. For the rest of the car, it couldn't get much easier. It probably averages about a quarter of the running time per km travelled as a typical (city based) car.

Reply to
John_H