Lexus RX330 Transmission

I have a 2004 Lexus RX 330 SUV. I've had 2 previous RX 300's. The new RX330 has a computerized transmission. I sometimes experience a slip, hesitation, and sometimes a clunk between 2nd and 3rd gears. It's real obvious. I have not been able to duplicate it at the dealership. It won't happen for a week sometimes and then it will do it 3 or 4 times in one day. One of the techs says it's the nature of the trans. They are not able to give out info if anyone else is experiencing this. Please if someone is experiencing this, let me know. Thanks~ TK Too much money to spend for a car with this concern!!!!

Reply to
TK

hesitation,

Reply to
Stephen Keown

I also have a 2004 RX 330. I thought I was going crazy. I informed the dealer of the same exact problem (hesitation/slipping) when the car only had around 5,000 miles on it. The service dept. told me that they had no other complaints. I thought it was me, until my husband was driving the car the other day & finally was able to see what I was talking about. It does not always happen & since I am the primary driver - it was only happening when I was driving the car. I agree - too much money to be spent for a car that hesitates & then just takes off. If anyone else has issues - please let us know!

Reply to
MEM

You are not alone. See the posting on this newsgrup labeled intelligent transmission. Also see Ann Job's auto review at

Reply to
Howard

You are not alone. My 2002 ES300 has the same problem. In my opinion, Lexus has a limited window of opportunity to get this problem worked out, as the word is getting out, and more people are getting turned off to this type of poor performance. Not real fun to turn left through an intersection in traffic, only to have the car slow-idle when you press the gas, as traffic is approaching quickly. I've never had a car behave like this in 25 years of driving.

Steve Larson

I have just been to (and lost) arbitration with Lexus over the transmission from hell. Because the jumping, jerking, surging, hard shifting, clunking etc. is an intermittent problem, I was not fortunate enough to be able to duplicate it for the arbitrators during the 3 mile test drive....therefore, they denied my request for Lexus to buy back my car. The next step will have to be the Lemon Law. I complained about it the day I got it and for 11 months since. It never occurred to me that they would not be able to fix the transmission on my brand new $48,000 + Lexus. The chip has been recalibrated once and they told me this can only be done ONE time and also that the transmission cannot be replaced. They say the transmission "adjusts" to the primary driver...thereby insinuating that it's MY fault that it can't shift right. In other words...."live with it!". Now when I go to the dealership there is reference on the computer that they cannot "write up" my transmission complaint when I bring the car in. I just paid an additional $2,100 for an extended warranty because I was so worried about the defective transmission ..... and now my dealership is not allowed to address the problem. This is a nightmare!! Their motto is "Lexus Cares" ....I think not!!!

Reply to
llynnie

transmission

Get rid of it -- rather surprised the dealer did not keep the car for few days to test it. A good service manager would personally drive the car for several days to and from work to duplicate the problem.

Reply to
twaugh5

Early on they did have a technician drive the car home one night. It was mostly freeway driving - but, even when he got off the freeway, it did not act up. Murphy's Law! Can't get rid of it and write off $20,000 after only 10 months...wish I could!!

Reply to
llynnie

We had a RX 300 which we traded for a Pilot. Maintenance costs are about

1/4 of what I had to pay for the Lexus and the service at our local Honda dealer is impeccable. Our 15k service was $109.00 versus close to $500.00 for the RX 300. The local Lexus dealer was over 1 hour drive -- had to make an appointment several weeks in advance and leave the car for at least a day. The RX 300 required a major rear brake overhaul at 30k -- flush the fluid, turn rotors, new pads etc. etc.I was also informed by the local dealer to expect to replace the timing belt and water pump at 75k miles -- for around $1,800 including the normal service. I was tired of being viewed as a cash cow for Lexus.
Reply to
twaugh5

I've experienced the same in my 2001 IS300, though its somewhat subsided and only acts up in the morning when the engine is cold. I turn my lease in end of month and pick up a 2004 RX330. Despite the minor irritations with the tranny, Lexus rides quiet

Reply to
Curt120R

this is not hesitation problem. this car has drive by wire technology,has no accelerator cable. you press gas pedal then sensor sends a signal to computer.after that computer opens your throttle . that takes a 2 seconds delay. this is on all rx3300, 04 siennas, 04 camrys , 98 / 04 gs300!! this is normal. before you spend 40000$ you should drive the car for 30 minutes. i have same symptoms on my lexus and i love the car.

Reply to
jerry 94 gs300

Let's contemplate:

Fly by wire throttle with a 5 speed automatic or Good Old Fashioned Throttle Cable and a four speed auto as they are currently manufactured (meaning, appropriate ratios and electronic governance) in other models?

I'll wager the complaints against the first combination out number the complaints against the latter combination.

LOL

Reply to
Philip®