Re: Lexus NAV System on new 2006 RX330

My 01 LS is pretty accurate here in CT. In My last (1996) LS I also was using a Tomtom 5.0 setup on a Pocketpc. I think the tomtom was better in some ways but, the 01 system is dead on in 99% of the cases. The only thing I hate about the LS nav is finding roads. When doing a seach for road names, East is sometimes E and other roads just don't come up, when I end up mapquesting them, they show the road name when I finally get there. I am assuming that is just the outdated nav system I have....

Also, I did like how Tomtom always pointed up, so it roated the map so you always saw what is ahead of you, The lexus nav will point down, and when you glance at it, mistakes can happen.... Was that ever adjusted in the newer setups ?

We have an 2006 RX330 and live in Maryland (although we previously > lived in SLO and San Mateo). We are not seeing any of the problems you > are reporting, and I'm comparing it to a TomTom 5.0 enabled Pocket PC. > The maps are accurate and up to date, and whiloe the directions are > not always perfect, they do ALWAYS get is to our destination > reasonable. It soulds like Lexus/Toyota need to do some work on the > maps there in CA. > > Keep bugging them on the problems! > > > > > >>Just completed a 6500 mile round trip from Virginia to California in >>our new Lexus RX 330. The Navigation system is a total bust. It cannot >>be relied upon to perform basic functions with accuracy. >> >>Problems began to be obvious as we headed West on I40. The NAV system >>would repeatedly suggest we take wrong exits, and then take a right or >>left turn. >> >>Our first stop West was a Courtyard Marriott in Santa Fe N.M. With the >>correct address entered as a destination in the NAV system, the >>routing was so poor it took us 30 minutes of winding through Santa Fe >>streets before we finally got to the motel. All a correct routing >>would have provided was to exit I25 at the correct exit, and proceed >>two miles to the motel instead we were led on a grand tour in the most >>circuitous manner through side streets and back alleys!!! >> >>When I reached my daughter's locale in California it repeatedly >>announced that the route guidance could not be followed because the >>area was not mapped. >> >>When I went to find a Toyota dealer for an oil change (there was no >>nearby Lexus dealer) it declared the whole town of Lompoc CA as >>unmapped and without route guidance. >> >>The poorest part of the system design is the inability to specify just >>a city or town as a destination. It must have a specific address in >>order to be set to a destination. >> >>My 2006 Honda Accord with NAV is head and shoulders above the LEXUS >>NAV. For that matter, my Garmin Streetpilot 2610 is superior to both. >> >>From my initial experience on this cross country trip, LEXUS has >>serious deficiencies with its NAV system and owes its owners a new DVD >>that does what owners expect of an integrated GPS mapping system. >> >>JJS >
Reply to
Someone

Sounds like you need to change from "North Up" mode to "Heading up" mode. Then what is "up" on the screen is always ahead of you and screen image will rotate as you turn.

To switch to "Heading Up" mode just touch the compass Icon at the top left of the sreen. To change back to "North Up" just touch the icon again.

XPlant

Reply to
Xplant

The RX-330 2006 NAV system also points up like TomTom. As you turn corners it points towards the direction you are driving. I'm not sure if that is an option or not, but ours has done that since we picked it up.

Reply to
Ace Bezzerka

Ace Bezzerka quipped:

all of the nav systems have that. Just touch the screen where the compass is in the upper left corner and it changes orientation from true north to top up display.

Reply to
amstaffs