Rust on a Lexus?

Has anyone ever seen a rusty lexus? Is the lexus line painted better than the regular toyota line (comparing Camry to ES330 for example).

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Dan J.S.

90 LS400 - Garaged, Driver's side, top on rear wheel well
Reply to
Jerohm

I have seen a lot of rust on cars on Long Island, NY, but not on Lexus.

Yes, they are pa> Has anyone ever seen a rusty lexus? Is the lexus line painted better than

Reply to
Buckshot LeFunk

I can't say that my 93 es300 is rusty, but yes rust is beginning to be a problem around the seam of the windshield where the paint bubbles up and chips off to expose rusty spots.

What I do is periodically soak the area with Krown anticorrosion liquid. I apply enough of the liquid for it to seep through the whole length of the seam.

Then I take either an anti seize compound or axle grease and apply it to the "wound" so as to form a seal.

Using this method I succeeded in controlling for many years a few rust spots on an old chevrolet I owned. I hope it works on my Lexus, because if the problem worsens, it means removing the windshield and do God knows what else etc...

It should be said that a Lexus is a Japanese car, and where I come from Japanese cars are noted, rightly or wrongly, for their susceptibility to rust. I read somewhere it is (or was) because in Japan they use recycled instead of "new" metal. The rust originates from within the metal itself so it doesn't matter what primer or paint is used....

Has anyone else ever heard of that ?

A.Z.

Reply to
A.Z

... This is EXACTLY the same condition that has occurred on the outer top edge of the driver's side wheel well on my '90 LS400.

Reply to
Jerohm

Yep, they use old beer cans and recycled WWII airplanes and any other junk the japs can round up!

Reply to
noyap

Not exactly. Old Japanese cars (I'm talking about 20+ years ago) used thinner steel plates compared with their American counterparts. Therefore those old Japanese cars rust through faster than American cars. New or recycled steel makes no difference.

Nowadays most cars use galvanized steel. So they are less likely to rust. Domestic or foreign.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

Beer cans and WWII airplanes were mostly made of aluminum, not steel.

We had far more scrap steel from our decommissioned aircraft carriers, battleships, destroyers, Sherman tanks, etc. after WWII.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

Beer cans are made out of aluminum now, in WWII they were steel.

Reply to
noyap