SC300 Question

I have a 1992 SC300 with 34K miles. I bought it new and have never driven it in the winter. It's in near perfect condition, it's "loaded", and has the five-speed manual gearbox.

To sort of celebrate the start of spring I drove the car to visit my son over the weekend. His father-in-law was there and took one look at the car and proclaimed it's probably worth more now than when it was new. His premise; the five-speeds are rare and with the low mileage and condition it's a very desireable car.

Based upon his assertion my son did some web searching, using both ebay and some of the "blue book" sites. The prices for SC300s ranged all over the lot, but we could find nothing even comparable to my car.

Is there any reason to believe my car has any special value, or is my son's father-in-law just misinformed?

jeverett3earthlinknet

John Everett

Partially misinformed. The car is worth slightly more than a comparable automatic because of availability/desirability. Just don't plan on retireing on the proceeds. The car is definatley not worth more than it was when new. Probably somewhere between 8000 and 12000 depending on condition and what someone in your area is willing to pay you. IMHO

Myles

John Everett wrote:

Reply to
msb

I dont think there is a single Japanese car worth more now then when you bought it. That honor belongs to European and some older American models. Lamborghini is the only car that appreciates from the day you buy it.

Reply to
Dan J. S.

Original Toyota 2000 sports car is certainly worth more now than when new. My guess is that clean Supra TT's are also worth very close to what they were new.

If anyone had a pristine original Z car, it certainly would be worth more than the $3500 it cost new.

.
Reply to
GRL

You have a very nice car, but it is certainly not worth more than it cost new and never will be (unless you stick it in a dry box and leave it there for your great grand kids so inflation can do its job).

Reply to
GRL