J30 Transmission Question

[Cross posted into rec.autos.tech for a wider audience]

95 Infiniti J30 won't go into reverse after it's warmed up. It does when started cold. All forward gears are great. I suspect it might be a leaking seal or some trash in the valve body. It's my son's car, and we would like to take a shot at rebuilding the valve body as a father-son project. It's only $50 for a rebuild kit.

Neither of us has ever done this before, but I have friends who have.

I welcome your suggestions, horror stories, whatever. This is probably like when I told people I was going to be the "official" photographer at my nephew's wedding. Lot's of folks said, "Don't do it!" Well, it turned out OK. So if you want to tell me to take the car to a reputable transmission shop, that's fine, but we really mean to do this job. So I would rather have constructive comments.

Craig

[you can figure out how to reply directly if you want to]
Reply to
Craig Williams