Servicing a 2002 SC430?

Is it practical to foego the warranty and have the service done somewhere else cheaper.(rather than a Lexus dealership) I have owned other autos and didn't need that much service for the first 50-60K miles.

Reply to
William Wells

Given the cost/complexity of a car like the SC430, I don't think you want to write off the warranty. While the car is generally reliable, a single major repair could cost you thousands, so keeping the warranty in place has a lot of value, especially if you should decide to sell the car.

Also, keep in mind that failure to comply with the servicing requirements only voids the warranty for systems that would be affected by the lack of service. For example, if you skipped oil changes, that might cause you issues if you had lubrication-related failures in the engine, but wouldn't affect the warranty on the suspension, for example.

I'd suggest you compromise. Find a good independent garage to do the servicing, and have them perform the service recommended in the manual. Make sure they give you records that show this (e.g., "Performed 30K check"). This should run you about 50%-75% of the cost of doing the same service at the dealer and should keep your warranty intact.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen