Squeeking brakes

GS 430, still on the original factory brake pads and in this cold weather the brakes squeal annoyingly when I press on the brakes. Does not seem right for a "luxury car". Any solutions?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Does the noise occur only for the first few brake applications after the car has been sitting for a while or does it happen at every brake application?

How many miles on the odometer?

What is the remaining brake pad thickness? If the brakes are worn, the wear indicators may be causing the squealing sound.

Reply to
Ray O

It occurs 50% of the time and then stops for a while. Mostly when braking at slow speeds.

Mileage 11,000. Don't know the brake thickness.

Jeff

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

The next step is to inspect each of the 8 pads for wear and uneven wear. You didn't mention what model year the car is, but if it is more than 2 or 3 years old with very low miles or the pads are worn with low mileage, also inspect the caliper sliders to make sure they are not sticking.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks. Car is 2007, one year old.

I am due for a yearly state inspection, so will have them look at these things at the inspection station.

Jeff

Ray O wrote:

Reply to
Jeff

Let us know what they find.

Reply to
Ray O

Unless you're planning on a dealer inspection, I wouldn't expect too much of a diagnosis from the average station doing inspections.

Reply to
Anonymous

You have a point. I had not considered having the car inspected at the Lexus dealer. Wonder if they do state inspections (and if they charge an extra $100 or so - because they are Lexus - on top of the state mandated fee). If not, that might be a good way to go: have the required state inspection done by the dealership and also find out why they think the brakes squeek.

I bet the dealership will simply say I need new brake pads - even if I do not. I've had that experience in my previous Lexus car. On a routine Lexus maintenance service, the dealership said I needed new pads. I passed on their offer to replace them and took it to where I usually get my pads done (Lexus pads from Lexus, but half the total cost) and they told me I still had plenty of miles to go before I needed new pads. So I am leery of what the dealership recommends, though you are right they may know more about their cars.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I had my GS430 inspected at the dealership last week and paid the standard $37 fee here in New York. FWIW, I don't believe they're allowed to charge more if it's just an inspection.

Reply to
DaveW

Thank you. Will take it there on Monday.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Brake pads are typically not too difficult to replace yourself. I assume that a Lexus procedure differs little from any other car. As example, here is one site explaining the procedure.

've not read through the steps, but it's not rocketscience. The problem arises when the pad replace-ment has been neglected, and additional maintenanceis required. Unless you're a very heavy driver, restyour foot on the brake pedal, or routinely drive withthe parking brake engaged(although I'm not sure aparking brake on a disc brake model actually usesthe rear brake), I doubt your '07 vehicle will neednew pads.

Additionally, some pads, specifically high performance models, will commonly squeal, due to their compound.

It seems to me that your vehicle is covered under the OEM warranty. Personally, I'd just take the vehicle to the dealer, get the inspection, and tell them to remove the brake squeal. Let them sort it out, and be very firm with your belief that the brakes on your vehicle should not squeal and should be corrected under the warranty campaign.

Reply to
Anonymous

I think that the procedure for changing the pads in the GS will be different from the one depicted in the link above if the GS has a full floating 4 piston caliper.

Reply to
Ray O

Not a problem. I have no intention of doing it myself ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Thought to give the group some feedback.

I took the car in to the Lexus dealer for the state inspection. It passed and they only charged the standard $16 fee for it. I also told them about the squeaking brakes (it was very loud!). They confirmed it was present and worked on it under warranty (!). Their diagnosis was that it was due to excessive brake dust accumulation. They apparently took the breaks apart, cleaned out the dust and coated the pads with some kind of gel.

The squeak is now gone. I cannot believe that whatever material they coated the pads with will last long but clearing the brake dust was probably a good thing. Unfortunately I do not see what is to prevent that dust accumulation from recurring again in the future. Maybe when I change the pads I should use some non-Lexus brake pads(?).

I had to take a loaner car (plus coffee and a donut) because they said they needed to work on the car for several hours. I can only imagine what they must have charged Lexus for that warranty service!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

WOW ! Where is your dealer? Any time I complain about the noisy brakes or how they bind, grab, and vibrate, I get told that is just normal and not to worry about it.

Reply to
mcbrue

It's Pohanka Lexus in Northern Virginia.

Jeff

mcbrue wrote:

Reply to
Jeff