Tires for LS430?

The short version of my question is "what are good tires for my 2004 LS430 that won't wear out in 20,000 miles?". But there is a longer version and I am posting this on both the general LS board and on the LS430-specific board.

My 2004 LS430 is now about 2 years old with 22,000 miles. The factory Dunlops were pretty well worn when I pulled off the Nokian snow tires last spring. So I went to NTB to buy Michelins but the guy talked me into a cheaper (price) "Cooper Sigma" tire. Well, that was a mere 4,000 ago and the tires are LITERALLY worn by half....they started with 11/32nds and now have about 6 32/nds. IN JUST 4000 MILES!

So the manager at NTB tells me that the tires are "V" rated and that even if they give me a different brand (for yet more money, of course!), they'll wear fast too. My comment to him is my question for you all:

This is Pittsburgh. Up and down hills all day. Take my kids to school and wife to the supermarket. I don't do "touring". I want a REAL WORLD tire for city driving (vehicle has never been on a trip!) that will get, if I am not asking too much, at least 30,000 miles in, I admit, hard driving.

What happens if I don't get "V" rated tires? Will lightning strike? Will the car disintegrate?

What do you Lexophiles recommend?

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

Go to tirerack.com and see what they recommend. I selected GoodYear ComfoTread for my LS430 to replace the original Bridgestone that lasted 50,000.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

A common Trade-Off for higher Speed-Rating is reduced Ride Comfort. An "S" Speed-Rated tire will give a more comfortable Ride compared to "H" Speed-Rated tire, and a "H" Speed-Rated tire will give a more comfortable Ride compared to a "Z" Speed-Rated tire. The Ride Comfort Characteristics can be attributed to the tire's Overall Stiffness. A tire capable of running at High Speeds requires a more stiff construction, in order to provide the necessary high speed stability & durability.

Tire Speed Rating Symbols:

S -- 180km/h or 112mph

T -- 190km/h or 118mph

U -- 200km/h or 125mph

H -- 210km/h or 130mph

V -- 240km/h or 149mph

W(ZR) -- 270km/h or 168mph

Y(ZR) -- 300km/h or 186mph

ZR -- Above 300km/h or 186mph

V rated tires are for speeds up to 149mph. I don't know how fast you drive, but check the table above and buy the tire necessary to cover you, with a safe margin for your wild moments, or your spouses wild moments. V tires do wear quicker but 4k miles is ridiculous!. You should get at least 20k miles, even from a v-rated tire. Michellin makes several good tires and I purchased Michellins the last time I bought tires and was pleased, sold them with my prior car. Wished I had made the Lexas dealer switch them when I bought the newer vehicle. g