Nokian WR Tires to LS430

Thanks to some of you as well as to some on CLUBLEXUS.COM, today my dealer installed a set of 4 NOKIAN WR all season tires on my '03 LS430, replacing the OEM Dunlop SP5000s. While it's a bit early for snow here, the new tires arrived yesterday and I wanted to experience them so I had them installed. So far I can't tell any difference in the ride vs Dunlops, although I never really could tell any differences between tires anyway. I let the dealer do the work because he had the Hunter balancing machine that you guys suggested and put the wheel weights "inside", out of sight. They did a good job.

Anyway, I'll keep reporting on the Nokian WR tires that are warranted for

50,000 miles and don't need to be removed in the summer. Even my dealer wants reports and says if they are as good in the snow as the recommendations on the internet, he might stock them for customers.
Reply to
B. Newman

I've been following this thread and also decided to put the Nokia tires on my '03 LS430.

I called the dealer, and he told me that Nokia had discontinued those tires in the size I needed (225/55-17).

I'm look>Thanks to some of you as well as to some on CLUBLEXUS.COM, today my dealer

Reply to
Helmar Herman

I don't think the WR's are discontinued since my tire dealer (largest suppler of Toyota/Lexus tires in Ontario, Canada) has quick access to them.

Make sure he knows its the WR and not the NRW. The NRW have been discontinued and replaced by the WR.

Reply to
Car Guy

Helmar/Ben, I sent you a private Email. Those tires are READILY available.

Reply to
B. Newman

Just out of curiosity, is NOKIAN TIRE related to NOKIA Cell Phones?

Reply to
B. Newman

Yes it is. The Nokian tire group is a spin off from the parent Nokia company (the cell phone guys).

Reply to
Car Guy

Spin off (no longer related) or subsidiary (still related, hence the name staying the same)?

Reply to
B. Newman

Not sure. Here is a blurb of their company info from

NOKIAN TYRES GROUP Nokian Tyres is the largest tyre manufacturer in the Nordic countries and one of the most pro? table companies in its industry worldwide. The company develops and manufactures summer and winter tyres for cars and bicycles, and tyres for a range of heavy machinery. The company is also the largest manufacturer of retreading materials and retreaded tyres in the Nordic countries.

Nokian Tyres runs the Vianor tyre chain, which is the largest and most extensive of its kind in the Nordic countries. The chain comprises approx.

160 of its own retail outlets across Finland, Sweden, Norway, Estonia and Latvia. The company's product development, administration and marketing functions as well as the majority of production are located in the Nokia facility in Finland. Bicycle tyres are also manufactured in Finland, at the Lieksa plant. In addition, the company has contract manufacturing in Poland, the USA, Russia and Indonesia. Nokian Tyres has its own sales companies in Sweden, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Russia and the USA.

Nokian Tyres primarily operates in the tyre replacement markets. The company 's key success factors include the continually upgraded product range and innovations that deliver genuine added value to the customer. The focus strategy adopted at Nokian Tyres has enabled the company to outperform the average annual growth in the tyre industry. Despite the powerful growth, the company has retained its position among the most pro?table tyre companies in the world.

In 2002, Nokian Tyres booked net sales of EUR 479.2 million and employed some 2,585 people.

Nokian Tyres plc was founded in 1988 and it was ?rst listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange in 1995. The company's roots go back all the way to 1898, when Suomen Gummitehdas Oy, or the Finnish rubber factory, was established. Bicycle tyre production began in 1925 and passenger car tyre production in

1932. The company's best-known brand, the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tyre, was launched in 1936.

Major Years in the History of Nokian Tyres

1886 The first car to use a combustion engine is developed 1888 Mr. J.B. Dunlop invents the pneumatic tyre 1898 The Finnish Rubber Works is founded 1904 Factory set up in the town of Nokia 1925 Bicycle tyre production starts 1932 Car tyre production starts 1936 First Hakkapeliitta tyre manufactured 1945 New tyre factory built in Nokia 1967 Nokia Corporation established - Rubber, Cable and Paper Divisions 1968 Tyre factory expansion 1974 Production of bicycle tyres and inner tubes starts in Lieksa 1981 Tyre factory expansion 1988 Nokian Tyres Limited established as a joint-venture company 1995 Nokian Tyres plc shares float on the Helsinki Stock Exchange 1996-2001 Tyre factory expansions

Reply to
Car Guy

Looks like there is no connection, now or before, to Nokia cell phones.

established.

Reply to
B. Newman

Actually it's the other way around. The Nokia cell phone unit is a spin-off from the parent company. Its core business is making tires.

Reply to
HarrierAWD

Glad to know that my cell phone was developed by a fine tire maker!

noth> >

Reply to
B. Newman