Valve Noise?

My 1997 ES300 with 50000 miles has been a wonderful car. However the last two times I started the car after sitting two days, I hear what was valve lifter noise on previous cars that I have owned. The noise disipates quickly, but is very loud. This has been such a smooth running engine that at times I have to check the instrument panel after I start, to see if the engine is really running. I have been changing oil regularly using the recommended grade. Is there another possible cause of that type of noise? How big of a repair job is it, if it is a valve lifter? Regards Rich Rossler

Reply to
RichR

Is it making the noise only when you are starting the engine? How does your oil look? Are you doing 5K oil changes?

This engine I believe is suspect to sludging because of its design. Toyota/Lexus has agreed to fix cars that are sludged as long as you can show reasonable maintenance (changing your oil regularly).

I would take it to a mechanic/dealer to diagnose.

Reply to
mbuster

Thank you mbuster. Yes, only on start after the car sits for a couple of days. Yes, I have regularly changed oil using the recommend grade of oil. I will check into the sludging problem. That would fit the situation closely.

Reply to
RichR

My 97 ES/300 was doing the same thing. It was the belts making that noise that sounds like ticking.

Reply to
<andersonjerry