Warped Rotors?

I have a 2004 RX330 AWD with 23000 miles.

I'm taking my car in for the headlamp data dots "recall" this weekend and want to make sure I'm covering everything else I might need to get done too.

When I'm driving >40Mph or so and hit the brakes, the whole front of the car shakes.

I've read a lot about this warped rotor problem, is that what's possibly going on? Should I push for them to replace the rotors and pads at no cost to me?

I've already had the booster go bad on me (very scary if you don't know what's going on) and they replaced that at no cost. Anything else? Thanks.

Reply to
davidl5

Shaking when applying the brakes sounds like a rotor problem. I would politely ask if the rotors, pads, and freeing up the caliper slide would be covered under warranty. You will have less success if you are pushy.

Reply to
Ray O

They should replace the rotors for free. We had ours done at about

32,000 miles, same problem. There is a TSB for the rotor issue.

They put the old pads back on ours, I probably should have paid for new pads, but didn't.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

They replaced the rotors on my 2002 ES300 when it was about 2 years old. What's going on with Toyota/Lexus these days? Lexus never had stupid sort of design defects like this in the past.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

Is there any way to get a copy of this TSB so that I'm prepared when I go into the dealership? I don't imagine it'll be too much of a problem, but the more the better.

Thanks!

Curtis Newt>

Reply to
davidl5

TSB's are available for purchase through the NHTSA web site or the Toyota/Lexus technical support site

Ray O

Can't help with the copy, but I can give you the TSB number on our receipt:

Per the work order:

"replaced rotors per TSBBR00404 473011 9B 13 4351248081"

Hope this helps.

Curt

snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com wrote:

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Under the freedom of information act, dealers now have to give you a copy of any TSB's that you ask for. But I'm sure they will sometimes say they don't have it, out of paper, ink, etc. But its worth a try.

"Curtis Newton"

Reply to
Robert

Dealers do not have to provide anyone who walks in the door with a free copy of any TSB.

I'm not an attorney, but AFAIK, the Freedom of Information Act applies to local, state, and federal government, and not to businesses. Also, I believe that although the FOIA requires the government entity receiving the FOIA request to furnish the information, the government entity does not have to furnish the information for free and may charge a reasonable fee for the cost to look up and produce the information requested.

So, even if the FOIA did apply to dealerships, the dealerships could charge the person submitting the FOIA request.

Reply to
Ray O

I too, am not real happy with Lexus build quality, I have 2 Nissan Maximas that have had FAR less trouble than my 00 RX 300 and my 97 LS 400. I have no idea why, two different cars, two different years, both have problems above and beyond what my 2 OLDER Maximas have had. What IS up with Lexus quality? I won't be buying anymore Lexus vehicles, and this disappoints me, as I really like the Lexus line. They are nice cars, quiet, and powerful, but reliability is not as good as my Nissans. (The Nissans are, by the way, 1 each, 97 and a 96 Maxima SE) They are some of the best automobiles I have ever owned. The reason I bought the Lexus vehicles was their reputation for being even more reliable, and they has the luxury I wanted. The older I get, the more quietness, and reliability become important. The Nissans were great for the sport factor tho.... I think I will stick with Nissan/Infiniti........Sad but true, this is based on my experience. And yes I maintain my vehicles, I think maintenance. is better than failures, and am not opposed to doing things right by the book, when it comes to maintenance. Just my 2 cents worth......

John

Reply to
Yeah

Hi, No, I am not the original owner of ANY of the cars, I have just had far less trouble from the Nissan products. I am considering a G-35 as my next car just to see if it's the Nissan is better or just my personal experience....yes maintenance is higher on the Lexus, but I do all main. as required by the manual. As I said I believe in preventative main as opposed to a breakdown. Don't get me wrong, none of them have left me stranded, or anything..... just more irritations with the Lexus vehicles....BUT, I do LOVE the LS-400, it is a great car, quiet and powerful, just tired of the minor annoyances.... Thanks for your reply... John

Reply to
Yeah

I've loved the look of the G35, both versions, since it first came out. You're making me jealous... ;-)

"Yeah" experience....yes maintenance is higher on the Lexus, but I do all main.

Reply to
Rumple Stiltskin

The exterior styling is terrific ... the interior is so-so at best (at least IMHO)

Reply to
Jerohm

Curtis,

Thanks for the TSB. That was helpful. When I was in there and said I was having a problem with my brakes, the service consulatant said something about brakes only have a 12000 mile warranty. When I mentioned there was a TSB, he said he'd look it up. I even gave him the TSB # you provided, so that probably made it a slam dunk for me.

Got the rotots and pads replaced under warranty.

Thanks all.

Curtis Newt> Can't help with the copy, but I can give you the TSB number on our receipt: >

Reply to
davidl5

Glad to help, man I should have asked to get my pads replaced!!!

Curt

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Does the TSB cover the warped-the-cut rotors on my 2004 LS430 with 28,000 miles?

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

A while back I took my Lexus in for new tires and began to feel some vibration when I applied the brakes a few weeks later, it continued to get worse. I suspected something wrong with the rotors and was going to look into it myself. As hard as I tried I could not get a single lug nut off either of the front wheels. I took it back to Lexus and they checked the torque on the lug nuts and said whoever put the wheels back on after my last servicing used the wrong torque causing the rotors to warp. I got a free brake job.

Reply to
Michael Chergoski