01 Corsa C heater blower not?

Hi all,

Daughters 2001 Corsa C is getting ever closer to 200k miles but the heater fan has been slightly intermittent for a while, now doesn't seem to run at all. When it last ran it wasn't particularly noisy.

A while back we had a failed resistor pack that probably blew because of a blocked pollen filter (replaced both) but I think the heater fan has been a bit intermittent for a while (but never not running at all till now).

I had a quick look at the owners handbook for an associated fuse but can't find one but may have missed it?

Before I investigate further, apart from a fuse and the resistor pack (thermal fuse) killing it completely, is there anything / common that would provide intermittency please?

Could it be the motor brushes for example and if so, can they be replaced (are they available) if actually worn out?

Are the switches known to fail?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Try the top fan speed.

If the thermal fuse blows the top heater fan speed usually still works. The fuse blows if the resistor pack gets hot but often the resistors play no part in controlling the top fan speed. On the top speed the fan is connected directly across 12V with a fuse (fuse panel fuse, not thermal fuse) in series. If it runs on the fastest speed then suspect the thermal fuse

On another make of car I've had a thermal fuse blow and on examination of the motor it was seen that water had entered the air intake, run through the filter and the motor shaft in the area of the bearings had gone rusty resulting in the motor not running smoothly. The fix for the motor was to apply some engine oil to the bearings. You can easily get a few drops oil from the end of the dip-stick.

Reply to
alan_m

Tried all, dead. ;-(

So the thermal fuse only supplies power to the lower 3 speeds (makes sense / now I remember).

Understood.

Ok.

See above.

Ok. My Mk2 Escort based kitcar suffered that (bad fan running) but I think more because the plain bearings simply dried / wore out than any other reason.

Understood.

On the kitcar I replaced the fan motor with one off a motorcycle radiator cooling fan as it had proper sealed bearings. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
[snip]

I oiled the fan bearings on a Vectra for exactly the same reason. But I was a bit over-generous with the oil.

A few weeks later the car was parked in hot sunshine. I started it, turned on the fan, and the oil vapour caught fire. Happily it extinguished itself almost immediately but the burning oil smell lasted for weeks. Eventually I had to replace the whole fan assembly - expensive and really awkward to get at - think of lying on the front seat with your legs hanging over the seat-back and your head in the footwell ...!!!

Reply to
Graham J

Was this a relatively heavy oil such as an engine oil or something that can be used a flame thrower in a can such as the infamous WD40?

Reply to
alan_m

Probably 10W-30 engine oil - I would have decanted a little into a squirt-style oilcan, like the one in this link:

It was a very hot summer's day (August 2014 in Devon) and the car had been parked all morning in full sun.

Reply to
Graham J

The propellant propane is highly inflammable. So much so that they can it by itself and sell it as fuel.

Reply to
Peter Hill

And so it turned out.

The brushes were very worn (only about .5mm brush still exposed), as was the commutator and that was causing the brush carrier to 'hang' on the sides of the channel worn by the brush in the com and hence cause the intermittency and eventual failure.

To get her going for now, I carefully 'relieved' some of the side of the brush holder(s) with a die grinder and cleaned up the surface of the comm by holding the diamond face of my Leatherman file (held hard against the brush holder bracket as a fulcrum but with a light touch on the comm so it would keep the comm reasonably 'true') on it whilst spinning it with my battery drill till it was a bit cleaner / brighter. I then undercut the comm and washed it out with brake cleaner.

Tested fine on the bench so put it back in and is still working fine. ;-)

I tested all the obvious before pulling the motor and saw ground and

12v on all 4 fan speed positions on the feed to the motor.

I might see if I can find some more brushes as the comm might still last the ~4k miles to her goal of 200k. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m