02 Mondeo reversing lights

It takes a real effort... I'm 76, and I served my time keeping the family car going for long enough, now I am trying to do the kids a favour by getting rid of clutter.

I took the Mondeo in for MOT on Tuesday, and hurt my back lifting the boot "tidy" out, so I checked through it and lightened it before it went back in. I don't know how I got the two wheel braces, one with an extending arm, the other a collapsible spider, but both are nice and shiny so they must have been irresistible in ALDI at some time. I do know why I had a foot pump in there, it's in case the electric tyre inflator stops working, but I don't think I need it in the boot, nor the jump leads. I think I only ever used them to start someone else's car, and I'm always a bit edgy with a lot of amps flowing from my battery, so I pretend I haven't got any. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

My emergency car kit consists of my mobile phone and my AA membership card!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Ah! You must be rich then! I can't afford the AA.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Rob Graham gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Roadside assistance - £28/year.

Adrian
[...]

On the contrary; you must be rich if you think you can afford to pay for any potential recovery!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

But none of my cars ever break down (apart from reversing lights, of course).

Reply to
Rob Graham

Of course not; firstly, you have a Ford, secondly you get excellent advice on maintenance here ;-)

Of course, the first time you get a puncture on a wet night on the Motorway, you might live (hopefully) to regret your shortsightedness...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I can, but I can't always afford to wait for them. When my daughter had a puncture in a dodgy area of Manchester some years ago, and called me, I was sitting down to a cooked meal. I told her to call the AA and lock herself in, ate my tea, and drove the five miles or so to where she was stuck.

By the time the AA arrived I'd taken the wheel off, driven to a garage to inflate the flat spare, and got back just as he appeared.

"Can I help" he said, so I let him grease the rusty old jack from her car.

Reply to
Gordon H

What's the current charge for being towed off a motorway?

Reply to
Gordon H

Actually, of course I jest. The reality is that I have AA cover with my bank. Is it free? Depends on how you look at it. It's free provided I pay the monthly fee, which provides me with a lot of other goodies that I actually want.

Reply to
Rob Graham
[...]

Well, there's no set charge; it will depend on the part of the country, time of day, day of the week, and whatever the operator can get away with.

There won't be many occasions when it's less than a year's AA/RAC/Green Flag/whatever membership..

Bear in mind also that the police will arrange to have their preferred operator remove a vehicle to storage if left for more than a short time, and if you don't collect it straight away, you will also have to pay storage fees before the vehicle will be released.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

For every tale of bad service, their will at least as many where operators exceed their brief. My stepson was a patrol for 6 years. He had

20 written commendations from members, and only one complaint.

Luck will also play a part; how busy the service is, time of day, part of the country, etc.

The AA control do prioritise calls on the basis of risk to the member; factors include location, time of day, lone female, children present, persons with disabilities and others.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I must tell them my age if I have to call them. :-) The last time was a bit embarrassing, flat battery at home, but he was there within about 20 minutes, during which time I'd put the battery on charge. I needed to get to an appointment, or I'd have left it on charge.

Reply to
Gordon H