1/4"" Deep Flat Drive socket set

Any recommendations for one of these.

Why do so many sets come with both short and deep sockets, adding cost to the set. OK, I guess the answer to that is that there may be occasions when a deep socket won't fit in the available space. Can people give me an idea how often they've found this to be so, so I can decide whether I need short and deep.

Reply to
Paul

In news:41e97ce9$0$44368$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Paul decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Work on an engine for more than about 15 minutes.

You'll soon discover why you need deep / shallow / normal sockets.

Reply to
Pete M

The message from snipped-for-privacy@paul.plus.com(Paul) contains these words:

Because you keep needing the things. Short sockets won't allow you to get over a protruding stud, long sockets may be too long to fit or hold the ratchet too far from the plane of action to allow a good safe pull.

Reply to
Guy King

and of course we know what car you are working on?? special tools for certain cars you might need a set of torx sockets or maybe hex? try doing a carb overhaul on a mini 1000 you can't live without a 1/4" drive set (actually not true but otherwise you have to saw a spanner in half for easy access) . The big sets are handy but unless you have to get a mortgage on em the quality is a bit iffy - on most cars you will get away with 2 or 3 deep true hex sockets pay up your hard earned at Machine Mart for a set on a clip bar and it will cost about the same as the 3 loose sockets at H*lf*rds BTW don't make false economy on the ratchet the decent ones are dismantleable to get the inevitable crap out of the works avoid like the plague any which have plastic bits - I can bust them in my sleep Derek

Reply to
Derek