socket set case

Hi,

I've got a very good stanley socket set that I've had for years but the injection moulded plastic case has almost completely fallen apart now.

Does anyone know where I might get a replacement case? The sockets etc. are fine.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

You can't really buy them but you can get strips with spring clips that you put your sockets on from Halfords etc.

Reply to
Conor

One of the very worst storage methods ever devised.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why? Seems like a convenient way of keeping loose sockets, and like a fitted case lets you check that all the sockets are present before you pack them away.

A couple of guys I used to know with Snap-On kits used to keep all their sockets on rails.

My 1/2" Elora imperial sockets are on a rail. Bought before Elora started making sets for the DIY market. Very cheap as they were on promo sale at the time. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

The sockets fall off those rails too easily. Even just by picking up the whole thing. Might be ok if mounted under a shelf etc but that's not what most will want.

I have long sockets, allen and torx keys to fit the socket set all from Halfords which came with them. Kept in a tray in a toolbox. And they fall off when taken out.

Perhaps a better design than Halfords.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I use airtight freezer/crisper boxes for odds and ends. Stick some bubble- wrap in there to stop stuff rattling about. Just don't put anything away that's wet or it will rust anything with no plating on :-(

Woolworths usually have a range of cheap boxs for a few quid.

Al.

Reply to
Al

================================== Get a small toolbox with a loose tray. Bend a long piece of thin metal to make an angled divider. Place your sockets along one side of the tray and fix the divider (with pop rivets) at an angle in the tray alongside your sockets so that the sockets are held in place by the divider. Use the other side of the angled divider for another row of sockets - AF one side, Metric other side.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I've got some Halfords and Sealey sockets on rails and none of them have fallen off yet.

Reply to
Doki

The type with the slide on spring clips? Are they mounted to a shelf etc or kept in a toolbox?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Kept in a drawer or a toolbox.

Reply to
Doki

I take it not extra long sockets, then? I have three sets of those - all Halfords - and can near guarantee at least one will fall off when lifted out of the box. Then a stupid spring clip slides off the rail too. Dreadful design.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stick a self tappin screw through the end of the rail.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Only if use a sharp one.

Reply to