Good socket set?

Hey,

I am currently using a Draper Expert Socket Set and I am fed up of the 12 indent pattern rounding off nuts.

I am thus looking for a new 6 indent set of similar if not better quality.

I have seen some Sealey sets at reasonable prices.

Like this set

or
(Can be had in the =A330 range as well). How do thes compare to Draper Expert? Do draper do a 6 indent pattern? (any good Draper sets people can recommend?)

Or other brand for sub =A350

Thanks :)

Reply to
MatthewJamesPorter

Perhaps you should use the correct socket for the nut? I've had bi-hex sockets for many years and can count the number of heads rounded off on one finger. ;-) Of course it could be the Draper set is rubbish - I don't know.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had a 3/8 set of Draper expert for about 14 years and found them very good. I'm not a pro but there's hardly a week in that time that I've not used them on something and they still have a good shape. You're not mixing imperial tools with metric fasteners or viceversa maybe? If the sockets are wearing away you should take them back. These have a lifetime warranty if I remember right. AL

Reply to
amoorcroft

I am currently using a Draper Expert Socket Set and I am fed up of the 12 indent pattern rounding off nuts.

I am thus looking for a new 6 indent set of similar if not better quality.

I have seen some Sealey sets at reasonable prices.

Like this set

or
(Can be had in the £30 range as well). How do thes compare to Draper Expert? Do draper do a 6 indent pattern? (any good Draper sets people can recommend?)

Or other brand for sub £50

Thanks :)

The Halfords Professional Range are very, very good, most unlike you'd expect from Halfords heh. And they have a lifetime exchange warranty :-)

Reply to
Iridium

I am currently using a Draper Expert Socket Set and I am fed up of the 12 indent pattern rounding off nuts.

I am thus looking for a new 6 indent set of similar if not better quality.

I have seen some Sealey sets at reasonable prices.

Like this set

or
(Can be had in the £30 range as well).

I would get stuck on Draper or Sealey. There are many other suppliers of good tools. If you're particularly concerned about rounding off nuts, buy a set of flank drive, or wall drive sockets. As the name suggest they drive on the flats of the hexagon, rather than the corners. Indeed in many cases they can even undo a nut that has had the corners rounded off.

Not under that price but extremely good value is this set :-

around and you can probably pick it up for just under £60.I recently paid £59.99 for a set to replace the set I baught over 10 years ago which was stolen. The original set, although having had a lot of use, showed virtually no sign of any wearThe long sockets BTW are hexagon, the shorter ones bi-hex.Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

================================ It's surprising how many spanner sets (sockets, open-ended, combination etc) have some sizes missing with the result that when the missing size is needed the nearest available size (but wrong size) is used which leads to damage to nut and spanner.

The set under consideration by the OP :

has a nominal range from 8mm to 32mm but sizes 9,11,16,20,25,28,29,31 are missing. They may be rarely used but they will be needed sometime over the lifetime of a good socket set.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I'd spend double that and buy this:

I got one as a Christmas present last year and have to say that I can't fault it - top-notch quality and a lifetime guarantee.

Reply to
SteveH

Or using metric instead of imperial, etc. Only reason I can see for lots of rounded off nuts - except, of course for poor technique.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But sometimes a 1/2" spanner is just the thing for tacking a rounded

13mm nut!
Reply to
Art

Don't round it in the first place by using the correct tool, then. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't have cars from new. Therefore, consequently, nuts.

Reply to
PC Paul

Neither do I. But if you buy something that's clearly been got at in this fashion it's your lookout.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Tom Burton

I got a wee Teng socket set on the basis of a friend having loads of Teng kit and raving about it.

I think it's great. Mine came in a small red plastic case, the hinges on the case are not the best and will probably expire within the next few months but the sockets seem to be accurately made and I haven't managed to break anything.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Absolutely.

At which point *a 1/2" spanner is just the thing for tackling a rounded 13mm nut!*

Reply to
PC Paul

Yep, their 1/4" hex ratchet/8mm ring spanners great, my only complaint is the sockets are a tad bulkier than my more expensive ones.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Only that they don't seem as good value as this set,

I can personally vouch for as I've owned the same set for over 10 years with no breakages or signs of wear.Also has an extremely strong blowmoulded case, which has also stood the test of time. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

the

link do not seem to work :)

Reply to
bongo

"Cicero" >

Out of all those missing ones, the only single size that I have ever used is the 20mm. As it happens the machine that had that size [an Overum plough] was supplied with a 20mm combination spanner to fit. To speed my work I have since bought an impact socket set [six sided black metal] with an 18mm socket included for use with an air wrench.

Huw

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Works for me. Try

put KAM-38840E into the search box.Mike.

Reply to
Mike G